The man was out on a country walk near Haverfordwest
A retired pub landlord and lifeboatman has died after he suffered a number of wasp stings while on a country walk.
George Moody, 65, who ran the St Bride's Inn in Little Haven, Pembrokeshire, suffered a severe allergic reaction to the venom.
Police are investigating the incident in a lane near Haverfordwest on Monday.
It is believed Mr Moody disturbed a nest by mistake while walking his dog. Experts say it happened during a peak period for wasp incidents in Britain.
Country sports lover Mr Moody, who ran the Little Haven pub until he retired six years ago, was with a friend when he was fatally stung at Merlins Bridge.
His friend Andy Grey, operations manager for the RNLI lifeboat station at Little Haven, said: "I was told he was walking his dog with a friend, training it for a shoot, when they came across a nest.
"Both of them were stung a number of times. They thought nothing of it at the time but a couple of minutes later he felt poorly and his friend called for help.
Mr Grey said Mr Moody's friend tried to give him CPR, but it was too late.
He said Mr Moody was a well-loved figure in the seaside village.
"He was very much a solid, down-to-earth gentleman and very popular in the village.
"He was with the lifeboats for 10 years and was deputy launching officer. He would drop everything to go to the lifeboat and serve his community."
Another friend Ian Thomas said: "It is ironic that he died in this way because he loved the country so much.
"George was never happier than when he was out fishing, shooting or walking the dogs."
Dyfed-Powys Police said they received the 999 call at 1114 BST on Monday.
A Welsh Ambulance NHS Trust spokesman said they were called to the incident near Merlins Bridge and found a man collapsed in a field.
"He had an allergic reaction to a sting and a rash," said the spokesman.
A post mortem examination is due to be carried out and an inquest will be opened by the Pembrokeshire coroner.
Pest controllers say they get more calls to tackle wasp nests in the last week of July than at any other time.
Insurers HomeServe received a 98% leap in wash and hornet related claims during the last week in July in 2008 - with a similar trend in 2007.
It is thought three in 100 people have an allergic reaction to wasp stings, with some of them suffering a potentially fatal anaphylactic shock.
There were four deaths in England and Wales in 2007 due to contact with hornets, wasps or bees.