Page last updated at 15:32 GMT, Friday, 13 March 2009

End of the line for Hoover plant

Advertisement

Workers were disappointed by the closure which sees 337 people lose their jobs

Workers carrying a mock grave have marked the end of 60 years of washing machine manufacturing at Merthyr Tydfil's Hoover factory.

They led a small procession from the plant on Friday after the last main production shift clocked off.

The decision to end manufacturing means the loss of 337 jobs. Around 100 staff will remain at the site which retains its headquarter status.

There were about 50 people who took part in the march.

Two brothers Malcolm and Gareth Williams have worked 72 years at the plant between them.

Malcolm Williams, 57, from Merthyr said: "It was very sombre, we were shaking hands and there were a few hugs.

Malcolm and Gareth Williams
Brothers Malcolm and Gareth Williams have both lost their jobs

"There were one or two tears shed but we knew this was coming for a long time. It wasn't a shock.

"There's a lot of ghosts coming out with us today."

Gareth Williams, 56, said: "We've got people here who are very motivated, target driven - highly skilled workforce that are on the scrapheap.

"My father-in-law did 40 years here and my mother worked here.

"The workforce should be proud of themselves coming out here with their heads held high."

Machine operator John Jones, 57, from Aberdare, said: "Everybody was down really today.

John Jones, Unite
I'm 58, will I get another job? Even people at 50 might not be able to find employment
John Jones, Unite

"It's upsetting. We've been here years with all the people we know.

"I don't think I'll find a job very easily at my age."

Another John Jones, the factory convenor for Unite union said: "It's a really sad sad day - one of sheer disappointment.

"We hope the Welsh assembly and Merthyr council will get together and bring jobs back to the valleys.

"If that doesn't happen the impact will last four, five years.

"I'm 58, will I get another job? Even people at 50 might not be able to find employment."

With production being transferred abroad, the assembly government said its priority now was to support those who were losing their jobs.

It said a team of specialists, including representatives from Merthyr council and Hoover, had already started a study on how the factory site could be used.

"I understand fully the disappointment that very many people in Merthyr feel today," said Deputy First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones.

"But the end of manufacturing means that a site of some 30 acres is now available for redevelopment.

"Our task now is to look to the future - and make good the loss of jobs and the impact of the closure on the community."

Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Action plan call for Hoover staff
07 Mar 09 |  South East Wales
Hoover confirms 337 jobs will go
06 Mar 09 |  South East Wales
Fear over 'end of era' at Hoover
16 Jan 09 |  South East Wales
Workers march over factory threat
16 Jan 09 |  South East Wales
Unions hold crisis Hoover talks
19 Nov 08 |  South East Wales
Electric trike C5 hits road again
19 Apr 08 |  South East Wales

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific