Page last updated at 12:38 GMT, Friday, 2 January 2009

Funeral for television death girl

Advertisement

Mourners heard tributes to ''little angel' Emily Hughes, who died tragically on Christmas Day

The funeral has taken place of a four-year-old girl who died after her father accidentally dropped a television on her head as he carried it downstairs.

Emily May Hughes, from Coedpoeth, Wrexham died on Christmas Day after the accident at home the previous evening.

A coroner described the accident as "every parent's worst nightmare".

Around 300 people were at the service at St Tydfil's Church in Coedpoeth, led by the Salvation Army. It included some of Emily's favourite music.

Without any doubt, Emily brought sunshine into the world - first to her family and then into the whole community.
Major Gill Stacey, Salvation Army

Her parents said beforehand that the service would be a celebration of her life.

It included a tributes from her teacher at Penygelli School, who said the village was a "small place" which was showing it had "the biggest of hearts".

Some of the music was chosen by Ross, Lucy and Betty - Emily's brother and sisters.

Major Gill Stacey of the Salvation Army, who led the service, said: "Without any doubt, Emily brought sunshine into the world - first to her family and then into the whole community.

"This is our time to thank God for this beautiful life and to make it a time that will be remembered by us all. "

Emily attended the local Salvation Army Sunday school.

Two of the songs that were played in church were Jolene by Dolly Parton, which Emily used to enjoy singing, and Human by the Killers.

Pink balloons at the funeral of Emily Hughes
Mourners carried pink balloons from the church

The congregation left the church, each carrying a pink balloon, as they processed to the cemetery for a private internment.

An accidental death verdict was recorded at an inquest into her death in Liverpool on Monday.

The inquest was told how Robert Hughes, Emily's father, accidentally dropped an old widescreen television set onto his daughter as she lay, unbeknown to him, at the foot of their stairs.

The family had bought a new TV on Christmas Eve, and a police report described how Mr Hughes accidentally bumped into his daughter, lost his balance, and dropped the "heavy, deep and bulky" old set on top of her.

The inquest heard how Mr Hughes carried Emily into the kitchen and with his wife Louise tried to resuscitate her until paramedics arrived.

The little girl was rushed first to Wrexham Maelor Hospital and later transferred to Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool, where she died the next day after suffering a "catastrophic brain injury".

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Mr Rebello said: "It is every parent's worst nightmare for their child's funeral to take place before their own.

"I hope the family can recover from this tragedy and celebrate the joy of Emily's life."

Villagers have expressed their shock at the tragedy, with one neighbour describing Emily as a "cute" and "bubbly" little girl.

In a statement, her parents said: "She had a real talent for singing, and had done solos in the school concert just before Christmas.

"We will miss her, and will never forget her."



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific