Mike Phillips was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.
Wales rugby player Mike Phillips has asked police to drop an investigation into an assault that hospitalised him.
The scrum-half was left with facial injuries after being attacked outside a nightclub in Cardiff city centre during the early hours of Sunday, 19 October.
A spokesman for his club, Swansea-based Ospreys, said at the time the attack had been reported to police.
But South Wales Police have now said Phillips, 26, does not want to take the matter any further.
It was reported that a crowd of people gathered around the injured 6ft 3ins, 16 st (101kg) scrum half who appeared knocked out after the attack on Mill Lane at 0415.
He was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure and was discharged later that day.
'Not wishing to proceed'
An Ospreys spokesman said at the time: "The matter has now been reported to the police and we await the outcome of their investigations."
The inquiry however has now been dropped by police on the instruction of Phillips, who has 33 caps for Wales.
A South Wales Police spokeswoman said: "Due to the reporting person not wishing to proceed, there will be no further police action in relation to this matter."
Phillips, who is a former Cardiff Blues and Scarlets player, had minor keyhole surgery only the week before the attack on a knee injury that has sidelined the player since March this year. He is expected to return to action in December.