Page last updated at 16:20 GMT, Thursday, 18 September 2008 17:20 UK

'One tragedy too much' for woman

Map: San Prisco, Italy
Irene Dzus quit her job at Newport's passport office to move to Italy in 2006

A woman who emigrated to Italy in 2006 hanged herself after "one tragedy too much", an inquest has heard.

Irene Dzus was discovered dead inside a shed at a quarry not far from her home in San Prisco, near Naples, on 6 March, three days after disappearing.

The 45-year-old from Newport, south Wales had suffered two miscarriages and her long term depression had returned, the hearing was told.

A verdict that Ms Dzus killed herself while depressed was recorded.

She left her job of 15 years at Newport's passport office to begin a new life with her 42-year-old fiancÚ Domenico Baia in August 2006.

She met him while he was working at her uncle's bakery in Cardiff.

Her brother George Dzus, told the hearing that her long-standing struggle with depression had abated following the move but returned after the miscarriages.

After about three months of living in Italy she was not taking anything and her moods had lifted and she was a happy person
George Dzus

Mr Dzus said his sister had been profoundly affected by the suicide of an older brother in 1975 when she was aged just 12.

He said the suicide of a sister in 2002 had an even greater impact, adding: "She didn't get over that death.

"She was on some form of anti-depressants when she was living with me before she left for Italy," said Mr Dzus.

"After about three months of living in Italy she was not taking anything and her moods had lifted and she was a happy person."

In March 2007 Ms Dzus fell pregnant but lost the baby after four months.

The inquest heard the same thing happened again after she fell pregnant later that year.

"That was the decline of her mental state and that was, we think, the cause of her decline," said Mr Dzus.

"She deteriorated in two months."

A couple of days before she went missing, Mr Dzus said he spoke to his sister on the telephone but she was "very short and very blunt" which he said was not characteristic of her at all.

On the evening of 3 March, Mr Baia reported his partner missing after she failed to return home from a walk earlier that day.

Unfortunately two miscarriages led to the symptoms of depression returning
Wendy James, the deputy coroner for Gwent

He put up posters across the region with a photograph and description of Ms Dzus.

Using search dogs, police found her hanging inside a shed at a quarry near her home three days later. A police report stated there was no sign of a struggle.

After her body was repatriated, Dr Ian Thompson, a pathologist at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport, confirmed Ms Dzus died as a result of asphyxia due to hanging.

Wendy James, the deputy coroner for Gwent, said: "Ms Dzus had suffered many traumatic events during her life.

"When she emigrated things were going well for her and the symptoms of depression abated.

"Unfortunately two miscarriages led to the symptoms of depression returning."

Ms James said the support of a loving and caring family was not enough to save Ms Dzus.

She added: "She had suffered one tragedy too much in her life."

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific