Page last updated at 10:10 GMT, Friday, 13 June 2008 11:10 UK

Tribute to abortion death woman

Llywela Jones (centre) arriving at the inquest in Bristol
Llywela Jones (centre) said her daughter's death was an unnecessary tragedy

Tributes have been paid to a woman who died a fortnight after she had an abortion because of delays in giving her a vital blood transfusion.

Manon Jones, 18, from Caernarfon, Gwynedd fell ill after the surgery and admitted herself to hospital, where she died.

Her mother, Llywela, paid tribute to her daughter. She said she was "full of imagination, humour and originality".

A narrative verdict was recorded at an inquest in Bristol.

Miss Jones's mother said: "Her enthusiasm and bubbly personality never failed to amuse me and many others who came to know her.

"She was always involved in school activities like singing in the school choir at Christmas concerts, competitions and school sketches.

"To have such a beautiful precious daughter end her life in such a way, it seemed such an unnecessary tragedy, a mother's worst fears come true
Mrs Jones

"She would sing in special family services in chapel and took part in the church youth club's activities which included musical drama which toured down to south Wales."

The inquest on Thursday heard how Miss Jones, a Christian who had an active social life with the church, had decided to terminate her pregnancy because she had concerns for her boyfriend and his family who were Muslims.

Following the procedure, she went on holiday, despite medical advice not to.

She cut short her break after feeling ill and returned to Bristol, where she was a student, and admitted herself into Southmead Hospital.

Blood tests showed she needed a blood transfusion, however she was left waiting for the blood when another emergency broke out on the ward and her condition deteriorated resulting in her needing life support.

Post-mortem tests showed she died of low haemoglobin levels and shock caused by "retained products of conception" - the embryo.

'Worst fears'

Mrs Jones said her daughter was "besotted" with her boyfriend.

She said: "It was in February that she met her boyfriend at college and fell in love with him - in her own words 'I'm besotted with him'."

Mrs Jones described her daughter's final moments before death as the "worst hours of my life".

She said: "To have such a beautiful precious daughter end her life in such a way, it seemed such an unnecessary tragedy, a mother's worst fears come true.

"The family and Manon's boyfriend, spent these days sitting with her, talking to her, stroking her soft hair, holding her bruised hands clinging to any hope that she might pull through somehow while the doctors kept her vital organs stable and carried out various tests.

"We washed her beautiful dark hair and dressed her in a party dress and gave her a little make-up and jewellery and perfume so that she left the ward looking her best, as she would have wanted."

The North Bristol NHS Trust has said it accepted the coroner's findings and said an investigation had been carried out into the care given to Miss Jones.

It said since the "unique case", further measures had been brought in to ensure seriously deteriorating patients were identified early and prompt action was taken.

It offered its sincere condolences to Miss Jones's family.


Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific