Page last updated at 16:53 GMT, Monday, 9 June 2008 17:53 UK

Stab death of porn charge ex-Pc

Geoffrey Harries
Geoffrey Harries moved to the village after protests at his Pembrey home

The family of a former police constable, fatally stabbed while awaiting trial on child porn charges, have described their "anguish".

Geoffrey Harries died after the attack in Trimsaran, Carmarthenshire early on Saturday. A man, 30, has been arrested.

Mr Harries, 49, had been charged with downloading 2,082 indecent images and was due to appear in court next week.

He left his home village after protests but police denied that vigilantism was an issue in the case.

Detectives are continuing house-to-house inquiries in the Dythel Park area of Trimsaran where the former Dyfed-Powys Police officer was stabbed in the street outside his home early on Saturday.

This tragedy marks the end of many months of anguish and heartache for the family
Family statement

He had moved from nearby Pembrey after the news of his impending court case became public.

The family issued a statement through Dyfed-Powys Police.

"This tragedy marks the end of many months of anguish and heartache for the family," it said.

"Geoff was a loving husband and son, who meant so much to his family and was well regarded by people who knew him.

"He was a gentle man and family-orientated and always willing to help friends and family."

The family added that at the time of his death he was not convicted of any offences "and we mourn his loss".

Police activity in Trimsaran
Residents spoke of their shock at the killing and Mr Harries living in the village

Before finishing with the Dyfed-Powys force, Mr Harries had spent 23 years serving in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire.

Det Chief Constable Andy Edwards said police were not looking for anyone else in connection with his death.

He confirmed that Mr Harries and his wife had left their home village when news of his arrest became public.

"There was some disquiet in the Pembrey area and that was discussed with local officers and as a result of that, Mr and Mrs Harries decided to move of their own accord to Dythel Park.

"As far as we're concerned, we've no evidence to support charges of vigilantism in this case. We have no reports of any criminal activity associated with Mr Harries since he's been at Dythel Park."

Earlier, one local resident Christine Davies said many people felt uneasy that Mr Harries had moved into the area.

She said: "There was a public meeting due to take place some time this week down at the new leisure centre and I know there was talk of a petition as well."

She added: "I feel sorry for his mother above all. I used to speak to her on the bus when I was going to work. She is a nice woman and doesn't deserve this."

The former police officer was on bail after allegations of having child porn images on his computer during the time he worked with the police.

He had appeared before Cardiff Magistrates' Court on 13 May accused of 15 offences of making indecent images between May 2005 and December 2007 and one charge of possessing indecent images on 26 November last year.

The court heard nine of the images found on the computer were classed as level five - the most serious on the scale.

He had released on bail until 16 June for a pre-trial review at Cardiff Crown Court.

A mobile police station has been located in Trimsaran.

Police are still looking at a number of crime scenes, but some areas have seen cordones removed in a bid to "return to an air of normality".

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed Powys Police on 0845 330 2000 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific