BBC News
Launch consoleBBC News in video and audio
Last Updated: Friday, 11 January 2008, 18:00 GMT
Star Henson will not face court
Ospreys and Wales centre Gavin Henson
Gavin Henson was returning from London on a train with friends
Wales rugby centre Gavin Henson will not face court action over alleged rowdy antics on a train, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

Henson, 25, had been due to appear before Cardiff magistrates accused of disorderly conduct.

Proceedings are still ongoing against three of Henson's friends relating to the alleged incident, said the CPS.

Henson said he was "delighted" over the dropped charges but added he was never in doubt he would be vindicated.

In a statement released on Friday, the CPS said there was "insufficient evidence" to provide a realistic prospect of conviction in the case against Henson.

The allegations against Henson and three friends were made on Sunday, 2 December, when he was returning from a game which saw his team, the Ospreys, beat Harlequins.

The men still facing prosecution are Jamie Mark Griffiths, 26, David Norman, 33, both from Bridgend, and Matthew Rhys Williams, 25, from Wick, Vale of Glamorgan.

Whilst it is always very difficult to read and hear things about yourself that aren't true, I never had any doubt that I would be vindicated
Gavin Henson

They are due to appear before Cardiff magistrates on 14 January for offences contrary to Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986.

The CPS statement said it had carefully considered available information from British Transport Police and the defence solicitors Graham Evans & Partners before deciding to discontinue the case.

The case was also referred to chief crown prosecutor for south Wales Chris Woolley, who agreed with the decision.

Ospreys managing director Mike Cuddy said the decision came as no surprise to the club which had already carried out its own internal investigation.

"We were in no doubt whatsoever that Gavin would not face any form of action," he said.

"Unnecessary inconvenience"

"We're satisfied that this is now the end of the matter and we hope that people will now get behind him and the team as they prepare for a crucial week on the pitch."

Henson said he was looking forward to being able to concentrate solely on rugby.

"I'm delighted that all the charges against me have been dropped," he said.

"Whilst it is always very difficult to read and hear things about yourself that aren't true, I never had any doubt that I would be vindicated.

"The decision by the CPS to drop all charges ahead of my scheduled court appearance next week has saved everybody a lot of unnecessary inconvenience."

Henson's partner, singer and TV presenter Charlotte Church, had their first child, Ruby, in September.



SEE ALSO
Harlequins 8-19 Ospreys
02 Dec 07 |  Rugby Union

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific