[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC News in video and audio
Last Updated: Sunday, 7 October 2007, 07:47 GMT 08:47 UK
Gas terminal worker death inquiry
The collpased rig at Milford Haven
One person remains unaccounted for after the collapse
An inquiry is under way into the death of a worker after a maintenance barge collapsed at a liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal site in Pembrokeshire.

Seven men were rescued in the incident at Milford Haven at 1500 BST on Saturday.

A South Hook LNG spokesperson said with "deep regret" it confirmed the death of a man, employed by a sub-contractor.

Five men were rescued by boat and two were pulled from the water. One had minor injuries.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has launched an investigation at the terminal, which is being built at Milford Haven.

Coastguard crews, police, fire and ambulance teams joined Milford Haven Port Authority in the search for the missing man until it was called off late last night.

Dyfed-Powys Police said it suspended the operation due to weather conditions last night but the search is due to resume later.

South Hook LNG said the worker lost his life following an incident on a jack-up barge, working alongside the jetty.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family," said the spokesperson.

"We can confirm that all the other individuals on the barge are accounted for and are safe.

"The relevant authorities are in attendance at the scene and an investigation is underway."

Milford Haven Port Authority closed the port to all traffic movements on Saturday afternoon and declared a port emergency.

A number of vessels, including three tugs, were sent to the scene of the collapsed barge, which had been working alongside the South Hook LNG terminal.


Later the authority said the barge was listing heavily and could capsize. They have established an exclusion zone around it.

Salvage experts were also coming to the port to assess the situation, it said.

Milford Haven coastguard led the search and rescue effort, but the police and ambulance services were also in attendance, and the air ambulance was on standby.

A spokesperson for the authority said: "Clearly the main focus remains the search to recover the missing person, though fears for pollution are growing and the port authority has also mobilised its counter pollution vessels to attend the scene."

Mayday situation

Eyewitness Richard Owen had been returning from a short trip out in his boat when he heard a mayday call go out on Saturday afternoon.

He said what looked like a platform on the LNG terminal had collapsed.

"There is a mayday situation in operation with the local coastguard and the platform is over by about 45 degrees."

Mr Owen said that a large pier-like structure was being built on the Milford Haven estuary and the platform which housed large cranes was on the end of the pier.

"One of those platforms has actually gone over 45 degrees and it is partially in the water.

"The lifeboat has been called out and there are currently three tugs, and I have seen helicopters overhead."


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific