[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC News in video and audio
Last Updated: Tuesday, 26 June 2007, 15:12 GMT 16:12 UK
'No charges' in school bus death
Bus crash scene at Ystradowen in December 2002
The bus hit a tree before coming to a rest on its side
No-one will face charges in connection with the death of a 12-year-old boy in a school bus crash, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

Stuart Cunningham-Jones was killed when the bus from his school to his home in the Vale of Glamorgan crashed in 2002.

The CPS had been reconsidering its decision not to bring charges in the light of evidence at the inquest.

A jury heard how one pupil had grabbed the steering wheel causing the driver to lose control of the school bus.

Stuart was on a double-decker carrying 75 pupils home from Cowbridge Comprehensive School when it crashed in the village of Ystradowen, where he lived.

The vehicle fell in to a field and came to rest on its side after hitting a tree.

Stuart was sitting at the front of the top deck and was pronounced dead at the scene.

We have nothing but sympathy for the family and our thoughts very much remain with them at this time
CPS spokesman

More than 30 other children were injured.

An inquest jury returned a verdict of accidental death in January 2004, believing the crash had happened because of interference with the steering wheel.

The hearing heard the bus driver describe how a child grabbed the wheel seconds before the crash.

It also emerged that a fingerprint found on the bus' steering wheel matched that of a 14-year-old pupil on board the bus.

A CPS spokesman said it had since reviewed the police file into Stuart's death and had decided there was insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges.

"The CPS has been in contact with the Jones family and will meet with them again to fully explain this decision," said the spokesman.

Stuart Cunningham-Jones
Stuart was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash

"We have nothing but sympathy for the family and our thoughts very much remain with them at this time."

A South Wales Police spokeswoman said the case had been fully reinvestigated and following consultation with the CPS, the decision had been taken not to take any further action.

"The family has been informed of the decision," she added.

The announcement came on the same day the Welsh Assembly Government unveiled new safety rules for school transport.

The proposals are for a new code of conduct for behaviour on buses, but critics, including those from Stuart's Campaign which was set up to demand better safety provisions for children on school buses, said they did not go far enough.




SEE ALSO
Stricter school bus controls call
04 May 06 |  South East Wales

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific