Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) has been given a record fine for hygiene offences, according to council officials who took the firm to court.
Hygiene officials found grease splashes and food debris
Bridgend magistrates fined KFC £24,000. The company had admitted 12 charges at its Hernston Business Park restaurant.
Hygiene inspectors found a catalogue of failures on two visits there, including dirty floors and practices which they said could lead to food poisoning.
A spokesman for KFC said it was working to resolve issues at the restaurant.
Bridgend County Borough Council took the fried chicken chain to court after inspections on 25 September 2005 and 22 May 2006.
During the first inspection officers noticed dirty floors and equipment soiled by food splashes and grease, a council spokesman said.
The inspectors were also said to have seen practices which could lead to food poisoning, such as staff wearing dirty aprons and not washing their hands after handling raw chicken.
There had been no hot water for staff to wash their hands or equipment as the boiler had been switched off.
The council told the restaurant to improve, and brought a prosecution.
However, in May 2006, inspectors returned after a complaint from a member of the public.
"Once again, officers found a very poor state of cleanliness with accumulations of food debris and grease on the floor; ingrained food debris around the children's tables and highchair and dirty and greasy equipment," the spokesman said.
Officers found cleaning bottles blocking a sink
The council again served notices and brought a second prosecution.
A council spokesman said a recent inspection had found an overall improvement, although there a number of contraventions remained.
A spokesman for KFC said: "Health and hygiene are of the utmost importance to KFC and, whilst we accept that there were issues with our Bridgend branch, we have been working to resolve them."
Matthew Voisey, the Bridgend Council cabinet member for environmental services, said the authority worked with local business to ensure high standards and would take enforcement action against any premises that failed to meet its responsibilities.
"This case demonstrates the importance for food premises to maintain high levels of hygiene," he added.