Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

BBC Wales' Penny Roberts
"He died on his way back to hospital"
 real 28k

BBC Wales's Geraint Vincent
"He was sent home and told to take paracetamol."
 real 28k

Wednesday, 12 January, 2000, 11:31 GMT
Inquest into rugby player's 'flu' death

Joan and Raymond Gregory Joan and Raymond Gregory are unhappy at their son's treatment

An inquest into the death of a former Welsh youth rugby player who was sent home from hospital with flu-like symptoms and later died is due to begin on Thursday.

Flu nightmare
An investigation is already underway by Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny, south Wales, after Kieron Gregory, 33, was admitted on 7 January with chest pains and a severe headache.

His parents Joan and Raymond Gregory have complained that he was sent home without proper treatment before later being re-admitted to hospital by ambulance where he died.

We will be cooperating fully with the coroner to find the exact cause of death.
Statement by Nevill Hall Hospital

Mr Gregory's death follows that of 17-year-old David Short, from Trebanos, Swansea, who was found dead on New Year's Eve by his mother after going to bed with flu symptoms.

Nevill Hall Hospital said it will investigate the circumstances surrounding Mr Gregory's death.

A statement from the hospital said that Mr Gregory was given a full range of tests for his symptoms.

Kieron Gregory Kieron Gregory was due to play for Tredegar RFC last Saturday

"The decision not to admit him as an in-patient was a clinical one and nothing to do with the availability of beds," said a hospital spokeswoman.

"In fact, before he left us his condition had improved and he was happy not to be admitted," she added.

Mr Gregory's condition at home deteriorated on Friday evening and he was brought back to hospital by ambulance but died en route.

The hospital's statement added: "We will be cooperating fully with the coroner to find the exact cause of death.

"Our deepest sympathy goes to Kieron's family and friends at this sad time."

Mr and Mrs Gregory said they were unhappy that their son was sent home.

'Big and strong'

"Because he looked so big and strong they let him out," said Mr Gregory.

"They should have kept him in hospital," added Mrs Gregory.

The results of a post mortem examination into Mr Gregory's death are expected on Monday.

The 33-year-old had been due to play for his club Tredegar RFC last Saturday before being taken ill.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
09 Jan 00 |  Wales
Pressure continues on Welsh hospitals
08 Jan 00 |  UK
Man dies after hospital confusion

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Wales stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories