[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 24 January 2006, 15:05 GMT
TV exec is guilty of biker death
Dafydd Evans outside court
Dafydd Evans is said to be 'devastated' by the fatal accident
A TV executive who fled the scene of a crash in which a motorcyclist was killed has been found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

Darren Beynon, 24, of Five Roads near Llanelli, died after colliding with Dafydd Evans' Mercedes when Evans pulled onto the A40 near Llandeilo.

Evans, 41, of Penylan in Cardiff - a director at Llanelli TV production firm Tinopolis - denied the charge.

Sentencing was adjourned at Swansea Crown Court for three weeks.

The court heard how Evans was returning from a christening reception in Llandeilo along with his best friend Henry Jones-Davies, editor of Cambria magazine, and Mr Jones-Davies' 11-year-old son as a passenger.

As Evans pulled out of a junction along the A40 near the Dryslwyn crossroads in October 2004, his silver Mercedes was hit by a motorcyclist who was part of a bikers' convoy.

Witnesses described how the Yamaha machine exploded into a fireball. Mr Beynon was catapulted into undergrowth and died instantly.

Darren Beynon
Darren Beynon was on a Sunday ride with a motorbike club

The trial heard how a police helicopter and tracker dogs were used in a two-hour hunt for Evans after he disappeared from the crash scene.

He told the jury he wandered off concussed into nearby fields minus his glasses. He said he spent the night face down in a field, only vaguely aware of where he was.

During the trial, Geraint Walters, prosecuting, put it to his passenger Henry Jones-Davies that he had aided his friend in leaving the scene.

Mr Jones-Davies said he had walked over to the dead body of Mr Beynon and made the sign of a cross.

In this time he became separated from Evans. He had already at this point called his wife to pick them up and he said he left the scene without searching for an absent Evans because he was concerned for his son.

Evans said he walked four miles to Mr Jones-Davies' house early the next morning and they went together to give police statements.

Ronald Thwaites, defending, told the court that Evans was "a broken man" and had not driven since.

I remember lying face-down in a field and I remember being cold. I remember thinking there was no point trying to move
Dafydd Evans

Mr Thwaites dismissed any suspicion that the TV executive ay have been over the alcohol limit.

Evans - director of development at Tinopolis, which makes programmes for the BBC, ITV, S4C and Channel 4 - told the jury he had drunk a pint of Guinness and some red wine.

But he denied he had also drunk white wine and a champagne toast.

Evans also told the jury that as he waited at a junction, two motorbikes sped past him just 10ft apart.

'In limbo'

"They were the fastest motorbikes I had ever seen out on a Sunday", he said.

"The only way I can describe it is that it was like standing next to a racetrack."

He then described what he remembered after the accident.

"I remember lying face-down in a field and I remember being cold. I remember thinking there was no point trying to move," he told the court.

"I certainly lost consciousness, I suspect as a consequence of what I had been through."

When asked by his barrister if he had set out to avoid police he replied: "Not at all."

He told the jury: "I think the death of any 24-year-old man is a huge tragedy. I wish I could spin the tape back. But his death was no doing of mine."

Mr Thwaites said that Evans had been "devastated" by the accident.

"He feels that he is going through the motions of his life. He is completely in limbo after having been a dynamic person."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific