[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 27 April, 2005, 06:38 GMT 07:38 UK
Woman suffers burns in flat fire
An elderly woman is being treated in hospital for severe burns after a fire at a flat in Tonyrefail, south Wales.

Fire crews were called to three-storey block of flats at about 2140 BST on Tuesday, and found the second floor alight.

The woman was rescued but had suffered severe burns to her legs and arms.

She was taken to the specialist burns unit at Morriston Hospital in Swansea. Fire investigators have not yet established the cause of the blaze.

Greek holiday man died after fit

A holidaymaker flown home by air ambulance from Greece died because of a road accident 15 years earlier, an inquest heard.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded on Geoffrey Biggin, 73, of Mynytho, Pwllheli, a retired executive.

He died last December in hospital in Bangor after being flown home from a holiday in Crete.

A friend, Brenda Polchow, said Mr Biggin appeared healthy but he had been hit by a car 15 years before.

Last October Mr Biggin was taken to a hospital in Crete after passing out in a swimming pool.

He regained consciousness but was later placed on a ventilator and died after being flown back to Wales.

Coroner Dewi Pritchard-Jones said Mr Biggin had an epileptic fit which was complicated by him being submersed in water.

The original accident caused the fit which led to his death, he said.

Fire at city centre pub basement

Firefighters have been dealing with a fire at a pub in Swansea city centre.

The fire was believed to have started in a kitchen in the basement at The Square in Wind Street.

The alarm was raised just before 1620 BST on Monday and the road was closed for a short period.

Fire crews using breathing apparatus and a thermal imaging camera brought the blaze under control and all people were accounted for.

Teen rescued after boat capsizes

Milford Haven Coastguard was called to rescue three teenagers from the Cleddau River after their dinghy capsized.

One of the group was picked up by charter vessel The Cleddau King before the coastguard arrived.

The other two managed to scramble ashore after the incident, which happened near Landshipping at about 2000 BST on Saturday.

An ambulance was called but none of the teenagers needed hospital treatment. Dyfed-Powys Police have been informed.

Three bailed in Lynette inquiry

Three retired police officers have been released on bail after being arrested over the original investigation into the murder of a Cardiff prostitute.

Lynette White, 20, was killed in Cardiff in 1988.

Three men wrongly convicted of her murder were later cleared on appeal. Jeffrey Gafoor, 38, was sentenced to life for the murder in 2003.

Another retired police officer - who was also arrested - is due to be questioned at a later date.


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific