A group of a dozen people in Trefriw have been told they could have to wait up to six months before they can move back to their flooded homes.
Conwy Council has said it will do all it can to help them find alternative accommodation after their homes fell victim to flooding across Wales over the last two days.
Meanwhile, the worst of the flooding appears to be coming to an end as forecasters predict that there will be no more heavy rain.
Water levels across Wales fell overnight, and several flood warnings have been downgraded or given the all clear.
The situation improved in the villages of Llanrwst and Trefriw in the Conwy Valley, which were among the worst affected areas.
But Trefriw was still cut off on Thursday afternoon. People there have have been stranded for almost two days.
The plight of those living in the Conwy Valley has touched Prince Charles who has sent a letter to residents.
"I did just want to send my heartfelt sympathy to everyone who has been affected by the appalling flooding in Conwy," he wrote.
"I just wanted you to know how much I am feeling for you all, at a very difficult time, and that you are much in my thoughts and prayers."
Cheryl Lacey, manager of the Fairy Falls Hotel in Trefriw - the scene of a dramatic helicopter rescue on Tuesday - has been providing shelter for those who are stranded or forced out of their homes.
"At the moment we're completely cut off," she said. "There's no way out at all. The water's too deep to walk through or to get a car through."
Many houses were damaged by the flood waters
Earlier on Wednesday, a flash flood hit the village of Ynysmeudwy near Pontardawe in the Swansea Valley, sending a wall of water crashing into houses and trapping people inside.
Some ran for their lives as the river Cwmdu burst its banks, sweeping rubble, timber and mud through the village, demolishing garden walls and smashing windows.
David Rook, head of flood defence at the Environment Agency, said they would be recommending a £430m investment in flood defence for England and Wales.
"It will provide new defences for some communities that currently don't have them, improved defences and maintaining existing
defences," he said.
Many schools across the country re-opened on Thursday after they were forced to close during the worst of the floods.
It is now hoped that the rain will stay away so that a clean up operation can begin.