The family of a 13-year-old boy from Cardiff who was badly burned in a fire on board a yacht suspect that static from his football shirt may have sparked a gas explosion.
The blast occurred on Sunday morning in Ilfracombe
Sam Borley suffered 45% burns in the blast, which happened aboard his uncle's vessel in Ilfracombe, Devon, early on Sunday morning.
His father Terry was also hurt in the incident, which is understood to have occured after a butane gas burner was left on in the yacht.
There is no definitive proof the Cardiff City shirt did cause the explosion, although a textiles expert has said it was a possibility.
Sam Borley, who was unconscious for 48 hours, is being treated at the burns unit at Swansea's Morriston hospital.
The crew of the Willis Do, from Wales, had sailed across the Bristol Channel to Ilfracombe Harbour.
The vessel was left split along one side, all the doors were blown off and the bulkheads were badly damaged - a woman also received minor burns.
Sam's uncle, Peter Borley, who owns the boat, explained why they believe the blast was caused by the shirt.
"We are amazed, but there seems to be no other cause," he said.
"I've been on board myself since, there is explosion damage in the hull, but very little fire damage, with the exception of Sam's shirt which we have got the remains of now."
Mr Borley also explained his brother Terry had gone on board with Sam to turn the gas off and open the hatches, and the blast occured just seconds later.
Static electricity scientist Dr Paul Holdstock of the Manchester-based British Textile Technology Group said it was possible the synthetic shirt could have caused the explosion.
"The garment only needs to be rubbed against something to create a electric charge.
"The garment then produces an electrical field which passes into the human body which is acting as a conductor.
"The young boy only had to touch a metal or earthed object for a spark to be created, which then ignites any inflammable gas."
Dr Holdstock added the problem existed in most man-made fibres, such as polyester and nylon.
A fire service spokesman also said static electricity has been known to spark an explosion, but it did not happen very often.