[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 11 September, 2003, 13:57 GMT 14:57 UK
Police sorry - bullied boy's wait
Police
A police spokesman said an officer should have been in contact
Police have apologised to a 10-year-old north Wales boy who has been waiting nearly six weeks for officers to investigate a reported attack on him.

Ken Dicks, from Dwygyfylchi near Conwy, said he was chased and attacked by an older boy near his home at the end of July.

After the offence was reported, a police officer said he would need to conduct a video interview, but the family have not heard anything since.

Ken's mother Medina Dicks said her son had been affected by both the incident and the delay.

"We have had several nights where he has woken up crying," she said.

First he chased me and then he grabbed me by the chest of my T-shirt, he pulled me down and started kicking me
Ken Dicks

"It was a nasty ordeal for him to go through. It has knocked his confidence sideways. Hhe doesn't feel confident enough to venture any further than the top of the road.

"I am really quite upset about the fact nothing has been done, because he had been promised time away with his grandparents and his father and he hasn't been able to go.

"He is quite upset about this - he feels he has been let down."

Ken said he was attacked by the older boy after going to get his football when he kicked it over a hedge.

"First he chased me and then he grabbed me by the chest of my T-shirt, he pulled me down and started kicking me," he said.

But he said the police had done nothing after the initial visit.

I can understand their frustration - clearly there has been a break-down in communication
Inspector Simon Shaw, North Wales Police

"I thought I would have to go down and explain what happened, but nothing happened," he said.

"It just makes me feel I have lost confidence in the police - they are not doing their job any more."

Ken's father Jonathan Walsh said the issue was not being taken seriously enough.

"I don't think they are concentrating on what needs to be looked after, which is the people who are there, and making sure they police the communities," he said.

Inspector Simon Shaw said the family should have been updated on the investigation.

"I can't say the investigation should have gone any quicker as I don't know the full circumstances, but clearly after six weeks, we should have been in touch," he said.

"The fact we haven't is something I do regret and apologise for."

"I can understand their frustration - clearly there has been a break-down in communication."

Insp Shaw said a police officer would be visiting Ken shortly.




SEE ALSO:
Farms Pc job scrapped
11 Sep 03  |  North East Wales
Brunstrom - MPs' mixed reaction
10 Sep 03  |  Wales
Police chief gets A in Welsh
14 Aug 03  |  North West Wales
Guns find 'linked to drugs trade'
13 Aug 03  |  North West Wales


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific