BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in:  UK: Wales
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Thursday, 2 May, 2002, 11:57 GMT 12:57 UK
Police check CCTV for soccer thugs
Police and fans
Officers struggled to keep rival groups of fans apart
South Wales Police have released CCTV footage of individuals they want to identify following the violence after Cardiff City's shock defeat by Stoke City.

The video shows fans throwing missiles at officers on foot and on horseback outside Ninian Park on Wednesday night following the Nationwide League play-off.

Detectives will be looking very closely at video footage over the next few days to identify those individuals attacking police officers

Superintendent Kevin Tumelty, South Wales Police

Five people have already been arrested after around 600 angry Cardiff fans gathered outside the stadium as 800 visiting Stoke fans left to make their way home to the Midlands.

But it looks like the club will escape Football Association of Wales disciplinary action over the incidents.

Three police officers needed hospital treatment following the disturbance while a number of others suffered minor injuries.

Police said the people arrested so far were:

  • A 21-year-old from Canton, Cardiff, charged with a public order offence and bailed to appear before magistrates on 7 May;

  • A man aged, 35, from Abertillery, south Wales, arrested for throwing missiles onto the pitch who has been bailed to appear before magistrates on 7 May;

  • A 22-year-old from the Rhondda in custody arrested for violent disorder;

  • A man aged 35 from Canton, Cardiff and a 45-year-old from Blackwood, south Wales, arrested for public order offences who were in custody.

Superintendent Kevin Tumelty of the South Wales force said: "An extensive policing operation had to be put in place to ensure the safe departure of the visiting Stoke fans.

"Our officers came under attack and a number of arrests were made."

He said detectives would be looking closely at the CCTV footage to identify people who attacked police officers, and urged anyone with information about them to contact the police.

Bad reputation

Cardiff City are already facing punishment from the Football Association of Wales after violence followed their victorious FA Cup tie against Leeds United earlier in the season.

But they are likely to escape disciplinary action from the body.

FAW official Mark Evans said: "The Leeds game was different because there were problems inside the stadium.

"We will receive a copy of the referee's report, but it seems that the major trouble was outside the confines of the stadium and the police handled that.

"The view is that there will be no action taken."

Wednesday's trouble flared after the home team's surprise exit from the Division Two play-offs.

Stoke won 2-0 at Ninian Park to complete a 3-2 aggregate victory.

Stoke's winning goal against Cardiff City
Stoke's winning goal broke Cardiff fans' hearts
Officers using batons struggled to keep the two sets of fans apart as missiles - including stones, bottles and fence posts - were thrown from the Cardiff side.

Police, including several mounted officers, charged at the trouble-makers at least twice.

Among the injured police were three who were taken to hospital suffering from concussion, a leg injury and a facial injury.

Officers eventually managed to regain control about 2230 BST and most of the crowd dispersed.

BBC Wales's Steve Jones
"Violence flared soon after the final whistle"
See also:

01 May 02 | Cardiff City
Stoke break Cardiff hearts
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories