BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 12 November, 2001, 17:07 GMT
Third Corus blast worker dies
Corus plant in Llanwern, south east Wales
The judge said breaches at Llanwern had been 'very grave'
A third worker has died as a result of the blast at the Corus steel works in Port Talbot.

The man died in Swansea's Morriston Hospital on Monday afternoon where he had been on a life-support machine following the accident last Thursday.

The man's family have been informed of his death.
Stephen Galsworthy
Stephen Galsworthy was killed in the blast

Five more Corus workers remain critically ill on the intensive therapy ward of the hospital's burns unit after the blast at the plant's number five furnace.

And a further five are said to be in a satisfactory condition on a general ward.

The two other men who died have been named as Stephen Galsworthy, 25, and Andrew Hutin, 20.

They were killed by an escape of molten metal which set off a series of explosions in the furnace.

The latest fatality comes as pressure is growing on Welsh Assembly First Minister Rhodri Morgan to release details of a meeting he held with Corus bosses in April after concerns were raised about safety at the Port Talbot plant.
Andrew Hutin: Body found by rescuers
Andrew Hutin: Body found by rescuers

Mr Morgan is expected to make a statement to the assembly on Tuesday.

Safety at the plant was highlighted further when the steel company was fined 300,000 for an explosion at its Llanwern site last year which left a contract worker paralysed from the chest down.

Speaking at Cardiff Crown Court on Monday, the judge said that in relation to the Llanwern incident, there had been "very grave breaches" of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

The hearing was told that the management failed to react to warnings of water under equipment where the blast happened in September.

Tory AM Alun Cairns - whose father works at the plant - has claimed that there were widespread concerns among workers about the condition of the lining of furnace number five.

"There are claims the fifth blast furnace has a poor operating record, with reports of several breakouts in the last five years," said Mr Cairns.

"Staff were concerned when only two weeks ago it was announced that the furnace wouldn't be re-lined for at least another two years."

But the company said the furnace was in good repair, routinely maintained and was not due to be re-lined until 2005.

A minute's silence has been planned for Thursday at 1717GMT - exactly a week after the blast - as the town continues to mourn.

Corus, South Wales Police and the Health and Safety Executive have all launched investigations into the incident.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Alun Cairns AM
"There might well be design issues that need investigating"
BBC Wales's industry correspondent Miles Fletcher
"Corus says reports of maintenance cutbacks were false"
Bill Dickson, Morriston Hospital
"We have advised relatives that recovery cannot be guaranteed"
BBC Wales's Miles Fletcher reports
"This incident is unprecedented."
BBC Wales's Nick Palit reports.
"I still have memories of the accident."
See also:

09 Nov 01 | Wales
Steelworker killed in explosion
16 Jun 00 | Wales
Steel jobs go at Port Talbot
30 Jan 01 | Business
Corus Group: a profile
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories