BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 10 November, 2001, 15:27 GMT
Steelmen families mourn blast dead
Stephen Galsworthy, Port Talbot victim
Stephen Galsworthy was due to be his friend's best man
The parents of the two steelworkers killed in Thursday's huge explosion at the Corus plant in Port Talbot have spoken of their devastation.

Stephen Galsworthy, 25, and Andrew Hutin, 20, died in the blast at the giant plant, which caused an escape of molten metal.

Nine workers, some with 50% burns, remain in Swansea's Morriston Hospital as investigations into the cause of the explosion get underway.


He was a gentle giant, the life and soul of any party and everyone's friend

Stephen Galsworthy's parents
David and Mary Galsworthy said of their son: "Our family is totally devastated by Stephen's death.

"He was due to be best man at his friend's wedding in June next year.

"He was a gentle giant, the life and soul of any party and everyone's friend. Our loss is total.

"Stephen and his girlfriend, Clare Robbins, had been together for over six years and planned to marry in the future.

"We must sympathise completely with Andrew's family and know what they must also be going through."

Investigations begin

Michael and Lynne Hutin said: "Andrew's family and friends are devastated by their loss.

"At this difficult time we would appeal to the media to respect our privacy so that we can be allowed to grieve in peace."

Andrew Hutin: Body found by rescuers
Andrew Hutin's body was found by rescuers
Mr Hutin's body was found a day after the blast after a search operation around the wrecked area.

The pair were killed as at least three explosions in the number five blast furnace rocked the huge plant shortly after 1700GMT on Thursday.

It is believed the furnace was due for a partial re-fit as part of a multi-million pound refurbishment being carried out at the plant.

Finding the cause

A series of investigations has now begun into the cause of the blasts.

The Health and Safety Executive and Corus chief executive Tony Pedder have pledged a full investigation into the incident.

Fire at Port Talbot steelworks
Witnesses said flames 'shot into the air'
South Wales Police met HSE representatives at the site on Saturday to draw up an outline for their investigation.

But HSE teams have been unable to carry out forensic examinations because of the furnace's instability and heat.

It is thought the probe could be lengthy, focusing on how effective the furnace was in the weeks prior to the explosions.

Another worker was discharged from Morriston Hospital, which boasts one of the UK's top burns treatment units, Saturday lunchtime.

Nine are now left in the hospital, six of whom are on life-support machines with four more in the burns unit's low-dependency section.

Clinical director Hamish Laing said the most seriously injured have 50% burns and would be treated with artificial skin made from shark's fins and flown in from the US.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC Wales's Sian Lloyd
"Many people here knew the two men who died"
See also:

09 Nov 01 | Wales
Steelworker killed in explosion
16 Jun 00 | Wales
Steel jobs go at Port Talbot
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories