BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 8 December, 2000, 13:07 GMT
Church's ex-manager seeks star
White House meeting
Joanthan Shalit and Charlotte met President Clinton
The former manager of teenage singing star Charlotte Church is hunting for a new child musical talent.

Jonathan Shalit, who was sacked by Charlotte's mother Maria in January, is now auditioning schoolboys in a bid to find a future singing sensation.

Last month, Mr Shalit settled his dispute with Charlotte's parents in an out-of-court deal worth around 2m.

Joanthan Shalit
Jonathin Shalit settled his dispute for 2m
At the time, he said the young soprano was unique.

"I don't think anyone else in the world will ever discover another Charlotte Church," he said.

But now the West End impresario is looking for a young male talent to take her place and set out on the road to success.

"Having managed and guided Charlotte to the fantastic achievements her talent has brought her, I would love to do the same for a young boy singer.

"I know the talent is out there somewhere, probably unrecognised - just as Charlotte was before I heard her sing, he added.

"Whoever I will take on will have the same chance as Charlotte had of succeeding.

"It will be lots of fun for the singer and his family and, of course, a lot of hard work for us all."

At first, Mr Shalit wrote to all 44 of Britain's choir schools, asking them to recommend young male talent between the ages of nine and 11.

Charlotte Church
Charlotte has found fame and fortune worldwide
The response was so great that he decided to hold auditions, the first of which will be held in London on Saturday.

Scores of youngsters will compete in a series of auditions which will be held in London at the home of experienced musical director Annette Battam.

All the parents of the hopefuls have been consulted and have provided their written consent for the auditions.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Nov 00 | Wales
Charlotte settles court battle
01 Nov 00 | Wales
Court ordeal for Charlotte
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories