Page last updated at 10:19 GMT, Thursday, 16 April 2009 11:19 UK

Further blow to call centre jobs

Thomas Cook sign
The company said changes to its call system would affect 59 jobs

Thomas Cook has announced plans to reduce staff numbers at its Larbert call centre, near Falkirk.

The travel firm said a new telephone system was being implemented that would enable its stores to deal with some calls previously dealt with at Larbert.

The announcement is the second blow in a week for the town's call centre staff after TSC, based nearby, said 300 jobs were at risk.

The latest news will affect 59 workers on temporary contracts.

A statutory 90-day consultation with staff is currently under way.

A spokesman for Thomas Cook said those workers whose contracts were due to come to an end between now and the first week of June would be lost.

He added that the changes were not likely to affect staff on permanent contracts.

In a statement the company said: "Thomas Cook can confirm that it has proposed that, as a result of a new telephony system being rolled out from April 2009, it would begin rerouting calls to its Thomas Cook Direct, Thomas Cook TV and Flights Direct Sales Centre numbers to a network of 135 of its retail stores.

"Our primary objective has been to make recommendations that would impact least on our people.

"The proposals are subject to 90 days consultation but, should they go ahead, we do not expect to lose any permanent sales centre employees from the company."

The Larbert call centre currently employs just over 400 people.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
T-Mobile move threatens 500 jobs
09 Apr 09 |  Tayside and Central
Talks to minimise job cut threat
14 Apr 09 |  Tayside and Central
Thomas Cook confident on future
02 Dec 08 |  Business
Thomas Cook defies economic slump
13 Aug 08 |  Business

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific