Page last updated at 11:28 GMT, Monday, 14 April 2008 12:28 UK

Cat resuscitated with oxygen mask

Sookee at the vets
Sookee had to spend the night at the vets in Dundee

A cat who was rescued from a blazing house was resuscitated by firefighters using a child's oxygen mask.

Officers pulled the unconscious black cat named Sookee from the fire in Baluniefield Road, Dundee, after it had been overcome by smoke.

They fitted the oxygen mask over the elderly animal's face and it quickly regained consciousness.

Another two cats and a dog were safely removed from the burning house on Sunday afternoon.

The fire started when an electrical fault caused a blender to burst into flames.

Joan Docherty, who owns Sookee and the other animals, said: "We weren't in. The cats couldn't get out because the cat flap is in the kitchen and they couldn't get past.

"The wee boys across the road were saying that the cats were clawing at the windows trying to get out and the dog was throwing herself at the door.

"He [Sookee] has a heart murmur. He was unconscious, so they took him outside and they revived him with the children's oxygen mask.

"He's doing alright. We've got to pick him up from the vets. They're going to give him a bath as well but he seemed to be okay."

Neil McKay, from Tayside Fire and Rescue, told the BBC Scotland news website that when they arrived at the home, smoke was coming out all of the windows.

Eventually the cat turned round and was sick, and got rid of a lot of soot and stuff it had breathed in during the incident
Neil McKay
Tayside Fire and Rescue

"As the crews pulled up they could see a cat trying to climb the blinds in the front room window and trying to get out of the window," he said.

"But after a couple of attempts the cat was overcome and passed out.

"Crews applied the oxygen mask to the cat's head and started stroking it. It didn't work for a considerable time.

"Then they charged a second oxygen bottle and kept trying. Eventually the cat turned round and was sick, and got rid of a lot of soot and stuff it had breathed in during the incident."

Sookee, 16, spent the night at the vet, where he was given more oxygen and steroid injections.

Eve Ireland, from Parkside Veterinary Group, said: "Today he's a much brighter and happier cat - eating, drinking, and the plan is to give him a bath, because he's full of soot."




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific