BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 3 January 2008, 16:52 GMT
Firework man admits police attack
robert hood - picture from mark ferguson
Robert Hood was remanded in custody for background reports
A man set off a "barrage of fireworks" in Alloa police office on Hogmanay because he thought it would be amusing.

Robert Hood, from Rose Street in the town, pleaded guilty to culpable and reckless conduct and was remanded in custody until 31 January for reports.

The 42-year-old, who had been drinking all day, walked into the building two hours before midnight and lit the box of "300-Shot Screaming Missiles".

He was traced by police after he told a taxi driver what he had done.

Alloa Sheriff Court was told the fireworks he used caused scorching to the walls, ceiling and seating of the waiting area of the police station.

He then ran out of the door, waving at the CCTV camera as he left.

Sandy Mitchell, prosecuting, told the court that Hood was first seen in the street outside the police station at 2145 GMT.

Mr Mitchell said: "He was unpacking a large box of fireworks and was walking towards the police station.

"Thirty seconds later police in the station heard a noise in the foyer.

"There was a barrage of explosions.

"They escalated, and almost blew the secure door off, and within seconds the whole ground floor of the police station was full of smoke."

I am refusing bail because of the nature of the offence and to protect police officers
Sheriff David Mackie

Hood then went to a taxi office and said he wanted a car because he had just set off fireworks in Alloa police station.

The taxi driver told police where he had dropped the culprit off, and armed with a search warrant, officers entered the accused's home in the early hours of New Years Day.

They found seven boxes of 300-Shot Screaming Missiles and four boxes of Sky Rockets in his home.

Hood was arrested and taken to the nearest undamaged police office - Stirling Police Station - 12 miles away.

Mr Mitchell said: "He said he had been drinking all day.

"He said he had gone home and found some fireworks left over from Guy Fawkes' Night, and had formed the opinion that it would be amusing to set them off in the police office and run out of the door."

Remanding Hood in custody, Sheriff David Mackie said: "I am refusing bail because of the nature of the offence and to protect police officers."

Firework damage to police office
01 Jan 08 |  Tayside and Central

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific