BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 28 November 2007, 16:53 GMT
Child abuse officer case delayed
Perth Sheriff Court
Orr admitted breaching the peace and sentence was deferred
An Army officer who abused young girls has had his sentencing delayed after a sheriff discovered he had struck before.

Sheriff Lindsay Foulis expressed concern about Captain Christopher Orr and called for a psychologist's report.

Perth Sheriff Court was told that Orr, who forced girls to rummage in his pocket, had been convicted of a "broadly analogous" offence in 2001.

Orr remained free on bail while sentence was deferred until January.

Last month, the 38-year-old admitted breaching the peace by getting the girls to touch his private parts. He has been placed on the Sex Offenders Register.

Sheriff Foulis said: "He has a previous conviction in 2001 which immediately caught my eye. I want a psychological assessment.

"The reason for that is the nature of this offence and the previous conviction."

This caused concern and upset but it didn't prevent him continuing the game
Lucy Keane,
Fiscal depute

Perth Sheriff Court heard previously how Orr made the girls keep playing the "hunt the coin" game even after they became upset.

The soldier, who is signed off sick from his regiment, then gave the children cash to go and buy sweets.

Fiscal depute Lucy Keane said: "The girls were eight and seven. Orr was within the house and the girls asked for money to buy sweeties.

"He said he was happy to give them the money but told them that a game would have to be played for him to do that.

"What he did was put the coins in his trouser pocket and suggested to the girls they find the coins by putting their hands into his pockets.

"There may have been a hole in one pocket because the coins were not easily accessible. In the course of doing this they touched his private parts."

'Bought sweets'

The fiscal depute told the court: "This caused concern and upset but it didn't prevent him continuing the game. He did not suggest they stop what they were doing.

"But they did stop shortly after and they got money from him and went to the shop and bought sweets. Neither of the girls complained at the time."

Ms Keane said nothing came to light until five years later when one of the girls mentioned what had happened to her parents.

They reported the incident to the police and Orr was arrested.

Orr, formerly of Inchture, Perthshire, and now of Gilmour Place, Edinburgh, admitted committing the offence in Inchture in 2002.

Solicitor Rosemary Scott, defending, said: "His position is that on the day they had come to ask for money for sweets.

"He said initially he had no money but the girls put their hands in his pockets. There was a hole in one pocket and the money had fallen through.

"The girls were searching but there was no money to be found. The money had fallen through onto the floor. The incident was never spoken about again.

"His behaviour was inappropriate and he accepts that. Since then he has moved away and has been away a lot with work. He very much regrets appearing before court."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific