Page last updated at 15:54 GMT, Friday, 18 September 2009 16:54 UK

Bomber publishes appeal documents

Adbelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, 9 September, 2009
Megrahi has vowed to continue his attempts to clear his name

The Libyan convicted of the Lockerbie bombing has published documents on the internet which he claims will prove his innocence.

Hundreds of pages relating to the appeal by Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi were put on a new website.

Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer, was freed on compassionate grounds last month.

Before his release, he dropped his second appeal against conviction for killing 270 people in 1988.

His Scottish lawyers, Taylor and Kelly, said the documents published on the website related to that appeal.

He remains in the eyes of Scottish justice the murderer of 270 people
Richard Baker
Scottish Labour justice spokesman

In a statement, Megrahi said: "I have returned to Tripoli with my unjust conviction still in place.

"As a result of the abandonment of my appeal, I have been deprived of the opportunity to clear my name through the formal appeal process.

"I have vowed to continue my attempts to clear my name."

The website currently carries his grounds of appeal which were put before the court between 28 April and 19 May.

They included that his conviction was unreasonable and based on insufficient evidence.

A further set of grounds gave some of the reasons why the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission referred the case to the Appeal Court, along with additional arguments.

The website claims Megrahi intends to publish further details which would have been discussed had he decided to proceed with his appeal.

Terrorist atrocity

A Scottish Government spokeswoman said Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill had made his decision to release the Libyan "based on the due process of Scots law".

She added: "He also made clear that he supports the conviction.

"The Scottish Government has already released as much relevant information as possible, and has met with the SCCRC to look at what documentation relating to the appeal could be released by them."

Scottish Labour justice spokesman Richard Baker said the release of the documents changed nothing in the case of a man who had been "tried and convicted".

He said: "His appeal failed and he was released by Kenny MacAskill before his second appeal was heard.

"He remains in the eyes of Scottish justice the murderer of 270 people.

"The release of these files does not change that fact."



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific