Page last updated at 15:34 GMT, Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Drum skin plea at anthrax inquiry

Pascal Norris
Mr Norris was described by his brother as "thoroughly likeable"

The brother of a man who died after contracting anthrax has called for tighter controls on the importation of potentially contaminated drum skins.

Michael Norris, 49, was speaking at the start of an inquiry into the death of Christopher "Pascal" Norris.

The artist and woodworker, from the Scottish Borders, died on 8 July 2006.

A report from NHS Borders concluded Mr Norris, 50, was likely to have contracted the disease by playing or handling West African drums.

His was the first recorded death from anthrax in the UK for more than 30 years.

However, a drum-maker in east London died earlier this month after inhaling spores while handling animal skins.

It seems a bit rich that all this money is being spent on legal processes and no money is being spent on telling drummers to watch out
Michael Norris

A fatal accident inquiry at Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard Mr Norris was in remission from leukaemia when he died at his home in Stobs, near Hawick, a few days after attending a drumming class in Smailholm, near Kelso.

His brother Michael questioned the point of the inquiry before Sheriff Principal Edward Bowen QC.

He said: "As far as we know, Pascal's inhalation of anthrax came from playing the drums, admittedly with a compromised immune system.

"It seems a bit rich that all this money is being spent on legal processes and no money is being spent on telling drummers to watch out.

"The importation and provenance in general of drum skins needs to be addressed to stop people from dying."

He told the inquiry that his brother had been in good health when he last spoke to him a few weeks before his death, although he complained of a sore finger.

'Very sad'

He said his brother, a Buddhist and vegan, lived a healthy lifestyle and had plenty of energy.

Mr Norris described his brother as non-judgmental and "thoroughly likeable".

He told the hearing he had been "very shaken and very sad" after his brother's death.

The inquiry also heard from Pascal Norris's friend and neighbour, 69-year-old John Godfrey.

Mr Norris's home
Mr Godfrey found Mr Norris very unwell in his home near Hawick

He said he remembered Mr Norris feeling feverish on Wednesday but better the following day.

However, he said on the Friday he had noticed Mr Norris's door was open and went in to find him very unwell.

"He looked ghastly, very drawn," he said.

"I thought it was probably a result of the fever and thought he should see a doctor immediately."

He took him to see a doctor who immediately called an ambulance to take him to hospital but he died later that night.

Mr Godfrey said: "It was a tragic loss, a waste of a good life."

Anthrax is caused by the spore-forming bacterium Bacillus anthracis.

It most commonly occurs in animals such as cattle, sheep and goats, but can also occur in humans when they are exposed to infected animals.

Health experts have stressed it is not passed from person to person.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Man dies after inhaling anthrax
03 Nov 08 |  London
Anthrax inquiry timetable set out
03 Jul 08 |  South of Scotland
Anthrax death inquiry to be held
06 Feb 08 |  South of Scotland
Man caught anthrax from drum skin
13 Dec 07 |  South of Scotland
Inquiry sought into anthrax death
26 Oct 07 |  South of Scotland
Anthrax hall receives all-clear
17 Apr 07 |  South of Scotland

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific