BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 28 November 2007, 12:58 GMT
Safety probe after lathe accident
A safety review has started at all secondary schools in the Borders after a teenage girl became entangled in a lathe at Galashiels Academy.

Nadine Craig, 14, required hospital treatment for the neck injuries she received as a result of the incident.

Her scarf became entangled in the lathe during a technical lesson at the school just over a week ago.

Teachers freed the girl from the machinery but the third year pupil had to be taken to hospital.

Council officials and officers from the Health and Safety Executive are conducting a full review of all technical classes and procedures at schools across the region.

It has yet to be concluded but a complete ban on scarves and ties in practical metalwork and woodwork classes looks likely.

New protection bibs for all pupils in technical classes are also being ordered.

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific