[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 17 November 2006, 17:24 GMT
Anthrax discovery in village hall
Anthrax
Minute traces of anthrax have been found in the village hall
A village hall in the Borders has been cordoned off after the discovery of minute traces of anthrax.

NHS Borders confirmed that the building in Smailholm was being closed as a precautionary measure after the find.

Experts have been carrying out tests across the region after Hawick man Pascal Norris died in July, with tests showing anthrax as the likely cause.

The village hall will remain closed until a decision is made on appropriate contamination measures.

Earlier this month a house in Smailholm was cordoned off off by scientists investigating Mr Norris's death.

Anthrax is caused by the spore-forming bacterium Bacillus anthracis.

It most commonly occurs in animals such as cattle, sheep and goats but can also occur in humans when they are exposed to infected animals.

Health Protection Scotland said it was not passed from person to person.

A helpline is available for anyone with queries or concerns about the anthrax investigation on 08000 282816.


SEE ALSO
House sealed off in anthrax probe
01 Nov 06 |  South of Scotland
Discovery in Anthrax death probe
12 Oct 06 |  South of Scotland
Anthrax tests on dead man's home
04 Sep 06 |  South of Scotland
Call for 'anthrax death' inquiry
22 Aug 06 |  South of Scotland
Man dies from 'rare anthrax bug'
16 Aug 06 |  South of Scotland

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific