Experts have discovered anthrax spores in drums and animal skins during an investigation into the death of a drum maker in the Scottish Borders.
Christopher Norris worked with untreated animal hides
Christopher "Pascal" Norris, died in July and tests showed the infectious disease was the most likely cause.
Quantities of anthrax spores have now been detected in materials examined by the Health Protection Agency.
The items were drums and animal skins used in the making of African drums which were found in Northumberland.
NHS Borders, Health Protection Scotland and the Health Protection Agency have worked together on the investigation.
At the time of Mr Norris's death, NHS Borders said his home at Black Lodge in Stobs, near Hawick, had been cordoned off and an incident control team set up.
Officials have concluded that the risk of being exposed to anthrax spores through drumming alone or merely handling the drums would be extremely low.
The Health Protection Agency said antibiotics were not needed for those people who attended any drumming classes or workshops where the drums were used.
Also, expert advice was clear that there was no increased risk of anthrax to the general public as a result of the findings. Current owners of drums or hides do not need to take any action.
All persons who have been in contact with the drums and skins have been contacted and provided with appropriate personal information, officials said.