Page last updated at 11:18 GMT, Thursday, 13 August 2009 12:18 UK

'Chemical leak' staff evacuated

AC Yule incident [Pic: Newsline]
Grampian Fire and Rescue Service was called out to the incident

Staff were evacuated from a business premises in Aberdeen due to a suspected chemical leak.

Grampian Fire and Rescue Service was called to AC Yule in West Tullos Industrial Estate at Craigshaw Road just after 0930 BST.

Two appliances and two specialist vehicles were at the scene.

After an investigation a chemical officer declared the scene safe. The cause was established as being a detection equipment fault.

An AC Yule spokesperson said: "The equipment indicated there was a leak within the plant and our emergency procedures kicked in immediately including the evacuation of all personnel and the calling out of the fire service.

"The fire service conducted a thorough inspection and it was established that there was no leak whatsoever and that the problem was in fact a malfunction in the detection equipment.

"However, it was pleasing to note that the robust procedures we have in place worked exactly as they should and from that perspective, it was a useful exercise."



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific