Page last updated at 16:24 GMT, Friday, 21 December 2007

Tribute paid to murdered teenager

Laura Milne
Laura Milne's family spoke out in her memory

The family of a "caring" teenage woman found murdered in Aberdeen have paid tribute to her.

Laura Milne, 19, was found dead in a flat above Somerfield in Union Street on Wednesday morning.

Two young women and a man have since appeared at Aberdeen Sheriff Court charged with her murder.

Relatives said: "Laura did not deserve to have her life brought to such a tragic and unexpected end when she had her whole future in front of her."

Laura may be gone but she will always have a special place in our hearts
Family statement

Her family said in a statement: "We are extremely distressed by the death of Laura who we loved dearly and will miss dreadfully.

"Laura was a very caring person, and, although she had real problems in her life, including the death of her mum 12 years ago, she had had never been involved in prostitution as has been suggested in certain sections of the media.

"We are deeply hurt by such suggestions and refute them completely."

'Very proud'

They added: "Despite the fact that Laura was unemployed she enjoyed life and devoted no small part of it to people less fortunate than herself, which makes us very proud.

"She was a regular volunteer at the Cyrenians in Summer Street, where she was well-liked and respected by the staff and patrons alike.

"Laura may be gone but she will always have a special place in our hearts."

Det Insp Malcolm Stewart, who is leading the enquiry, confirmed that there was no record of Laura ever having been involved in prostitution.

Three accused

A 17-year-old woman appeared in court on Friday charged with the murder.

Leigh MacKinnon, of Mameulah Road in Newmachar, appeared after Stuart Jack, 22, of Langstane Place and 18-year-old Debbie Buchan, of Union Street, both Aberdeen, had appeared in court on Thursday charged over the death.

They made no plea or declaration and were remanded in custody.

Officers forced their way into the home at about 1100 GMT on Wednesday after receiving information from the public.

The flat was cordoned off to allow a full forensic examination and house-to-house inquiries were carried out.

Two in court over dead teenager
20 Dec 07 |  North East/N Isles

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific