Page last updated at 16:37 GMT, Monday, 3 December 2007

Trump not appealing golf refusal

Balmedie beach area
The plans for the Balmedie area have caused controversy

Donald Trump will not be appealing against the decision to turn down plans for his 1bn golf resort.

Representatives say they instead hope Aberdeenshire Council will overturn the refusal decision.

The rejection by a committee last week will be the focus of a special council meeting, expected to be held next week.

US property tycoon Mr Trump's team also revealed they have 30 days to decide whether to move the project to a site in Northern Ireland.

Mr Trump's representatives have met with senior Aberdeenshire Council officials over the possibility of reversing the decision on the project.

The move came after councillors rejected plans for the huge resort at the Menie Estate near Balmedie last week.

'Just thing'

Several offers have been received from a number of landowners in the UK hoping to secure the project after the refusal.

The Trump Organisation's head of international development, George Sorial, said of the talks: "We don't feel that the process was fair or reflected the will of the people.

"The just thing to do would be to hold another hearing in front of the full council."

Donald Trump swinging a golf club
Mr Trump had the option of appealing against the decision

Mr Sorial said they had been contacted by many landowners who wanted Mr Trump to consider their sites instead, some also in Scotland.

However, Mr Sorial said: "We have said all along the one we are looking at seriously is Northern Ireland."

Meanwhile, a delegation from Aberdeen is in America meeting with Mr Trump to offer their support.

And the leadership of Aberdeen City Council has written to Aberdeenshire councillors, urging them to do all they can to get the proposed golf resort scheme back on track.

'Golden opportunity'

The letter to all councillors has been jointly signed by Aberdeen Lord Provost Peter Stephen, city council leader Kate Dean and deputy leader Kevin Stewart.

The letter states: "The spin-offs for the rest our economy would be enormous.

"We cannot afford to turn our backs on this golden opportunity to put Aberdeenshire and Aberdeen firmly on the map as a major destination for people from all over the world."

However, Mr Trump's plan to create the 1bn golf resort in Aberdeenshire is "dead", according to the man who made the final decision to reject it.

Councillor Martin Ford, who used his casting vote to turn down the plan, told BBC Scotland he was "quite certain" the right decision was made.


SEE ALSO
Trump's 1bn resort plan 'dead'
02 Dec 07 |  North East/N Isles
Trump golf complex welcome in NI
02 Dec 07 |  Northern Ireland
Council pitches for Trump course
30 Nov 07 |  North East/N Isles
Council in 'urgent' Trump meeting
30 Nov 07 |  North East/N Isles
Trump vote councillor 'assaulted'
30 Nov 07 |  North East/N Isles
Trump's 1bn golf plan rejected
29 Nov 07 |  North East/N Isles

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific