An urgent special meeting of Aberdeenshire Council has been announced in the wake of the refusal for Donald Trump's £1bn golf plans.
Mr Trump is considering an appeal against the decision
Council leader Anne Robertson said the meeting was being called in light of the "overwhelming and unprecedented public response and dismay expressed".
The meeting will consider the decision - and will also look at possible options for overturning it.
The plans for the Menie Estate were narrowly rejected on Thursday.
Councillor Robertson said: "The public response has been quite overwhelming and we must listen carefully to the views of the people who elected us.
"This development has the potential to be an extremely important diversification of our economy and I personally will do all I can to keep the application alive."
The meeting will also review how the council deals with major planning applications in future.
The time and place of the meeting have yet to be announced.
Mr Trump is considering an appeal after Aberdeenshire Council's infrastructure services committee narrowly rejected the plans.
The controversial project was given outline planning approval last week, but then went to Aberdeenshire Council's infrastructure committee. It rejected the plans on the chairman Martin Ford's casting vote after a tied vote.
Opposition to the scheme has included environmental groups and some local residents.
Opponents have fears about the environmental impact of the plans
Protesters have claimed that the resort would have a major impact on wildlife and destroy a beautiful part of Scotland.
A spokesperson for the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds welcomed the refusal.
Sustainable Aberdeenshire, a group fighting the plans, expressed astonishment at the lengths people were going to to support the application.
Spokesman Mickey Foote said: "There is a process and the parties should stick to that. Donald Trump should take the decision on the chin and appeal if he wants. It's not playing by the rules."
The chairman of Aberdeen City and Shire Economic Forum (Acsef), Patrick Machray, and Geoff Runcie, the chief executive of Aberdeen and Grampian Chamber of Commerce, criticised the refusal decision.
The Trump International Links plan includes two championship golf courses and 1,500 homes.
The US tycoon claimed he needed to build the houses to pay for the development, which he wants to construct over the next five years at the 1,400 acre site near Balmedie.
Councillors on the Formartine area committee backed the plans last week by seven votes to four.
The development then went to the more powerful infrastructure services committee.
An Aberdeenshire councillor who voted against Mr Trump's £1bn golf resort plans has claimed she was later assaulted at home.
Debra Storr, 47, was one of the councillors who went against the US billionaire's plans.
She claims she was verbally abused and pushed at her home on Friday morning.
A Grampian Police spokesman later said: "A 59-year-old female has been interviewed and charged in connection with a minor disturbance".