[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 30 October 2006, 16:23 GMT
First minister backs town's Asbos
Asbo agreement
A trio of Asbos were ordered for Forres at Elgin Sheriff Court
First Minister Jack McConnell has said the banning of three teenagers from large parts of their Moray home town set an example for others to follow.

Mr McConnell was speaking in Forres, where the young trio were banned from for five years after Moray Council went to Elgin Sheriff Court last week.

He called for anti-social behaviour powers to be used by more councils.

Mr McConnell said: "The actions of the mindless few can ruin lives in smaller, rural communities."

I want to see more councils follow the example of what has happened in Forres
Jack McConnell
First Minister

Damien Grant, 17, Hassan Ali, 18, and 19-year-old Jamie Wright were banned from entering High Street in Forres between 1800 and 0600.

It is also illegal for them to enter areas such as bars, the community centre and the library.

'Communities safer'

Mr McConnell said: "The blight of anti-social behaviour is not just confined to the streets of our cities.

"These powers are being used more and more across Scotland. Just last week an order was imposed here in Forres that will keep key troublemakers out of the town centre for five years.

"But we still need local agencies across Scotland to do more.

"I want to see more councils follow the example of what has happened in Forres. By doing so they will be improving the lives of the majority and making the streets of all our communities safer."

Moray Council said last week's move was as a result of an extended period of anti-social behaviour by the three, including assaults, vandalism, threats to and abuse of residents and police officers.

All were said to be members of a gang of youths who call themselves the Pivvy Posse.




SEE ALSO
Moray teenagers given Asbo bans
24 Oct 06 |  North East/N Isles
Asbos aim to curb street drinking
20 Oct 06 |  South of Scotland
Massage parlour shut using Asbo
13 Sep 06 |  Glasgow and West
Asbo tour 'prompts 800 reports'
11 Aug 06 |  Scotland

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific