Sandy Park said flooding in Cumbria was a disaster
Proposals for new flood defences through the centre of Inverness have been reduced in scale.
Defences down both banks of the River Ness are now planned from Ness Bridge to the river's mouth.
It had been proposed to start the project further upstream but businesses were concerned it would spoil one of the most scenic parts of the city.
Highland Council convener Sandy Park said major flooding in Cumbria reinforced the need for defences.
Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey planning applications and review committee will consider the proposal on Tuesday.
Officers are recommending that planning permission be granted to erect defences along the lowest reaches of the River Ness subject to a number of detailed conditions.
Mr Park said: "November was the wettest month recorded in the UK since 1952 and with the flooding disaster in Cumbria still very much in the news, I think it is very timely that members will be focusing on flood defences for the River Ness.
"Property owners should be reassured that work is being done to put measures in place to safeguard their homes and businesses."
Separate from the plans for the centre of Inverness, a company headquartered in the US has been appointed to design a flood relief channel for other parts of the city.
AECOM will provide Highland Council with detailed plans on the project that will collect and transfer water from the south side of the city.
The aim is to reduce the risk to about 200 homes and businesses.
AECOM is also reviewing designs for two other phases of the flood prevention project for the city.
Highland Council said the south west relief channel would have capacity to handle a once in 200 years flood event.
The scheme is split into three phases.
Phases one and two cover works between the River Ness and what is known as the Culduthel channel, while phase three is from the Culduthel channel to Ault na Skiah.