Government troops were posted to Fort Augustus
Archaeologists are to investigate if a military encampment used by government troops in the 18th Century lies under a proposed location for a caravan park.
A landscape painting of Fort Augustus by 18th Century artist Thomas Sandby depicts Redcoat tents in the area.
The Redcoats were in the Highlands to fight the Jacobites. An initial survey has prompted archaeologists to suggest remains of a camp maybe found.
The details are reported on a Highland Council online database.
The Highland Historic Environment Record holds records on thousands of historical sites dating from prehistoric times to the modern day.
Barracks were first built in Cill Chuimein - which would become known as Fort Augustus - following the collapse of the Jacobite uprising of 1715.
A new fort was later constructed and named in 1729 after William Augustus, the second son of King George II.
William, the Duke of Cumberland, went on to crush Bonnie Prince Charlie's forces at Culloden in 1746.
Stones marking the boundary of Crown lands in Fort Augustus from the same period of time have also been identified by historians.
They are believed to be on land seized from a supporter of the Jacobite cause.