A fort built following the 1746 defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie will be the permanent home for the Black Watch.
Fort George was built on the shores of the Moray Firth
Fort George at Ardersier, near Inverness, was the mightiest artillery fortification in Britain, according to Historic Scotland.
Large parts of it are open to the public, while the barracks house serves soldiers and officers.
The Royal Irish, who saw action in Afghanistan, were previously billeted at the fort.
The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, or 3 SCOTS, have previously served in Iraq.
Elements of the battalion are already at Fort George and will be there in full force by the new year.
The fort was constructed on the orders of George II to suppress any further Jacobite uprisings.
The Black Watch were raised by the government in the wake of the 1715 Jacobite rebellion.