Broadfoot has been a regular for Rangers since signing from St Mirren
Rangers defender Kirk Broadfoot was taken to hospital after an egg he was microwaving exploded in his face.
The 25-year-old Scotland international was poaching the egg at his home near Mauchline, Ayrshire, when the accident happened.
It is understood hot liquid squirted onto his face and scalded his cheek when he opened the microwave door.
The footballer was treated in hospital, before being allowed to go home following the incident on Sunday.
Broadfoot had already been ruled out for the rest of the season because of other injuries.
Full back Broadfoot was signed by the Glasgow club from St Mirren two years ago and has become a regular in the team.
He scored on his debut for the Scottish national team in a 2-1 victory over Iceland in September 2008.
His injury is the latest bizarre mishap to have been suffered by a football star in recent years.
Former Everton goalkeeper Richard Wright missed an FA Cup match against Chelsea in the 2005-06 season when he ignored a sign warning players not to warm up in the goalmouth, before tripping over it and twisting his ankle.
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand once strained a tendon in his knee when he put his leg up on a coffee table while watching television.
And veteran goalkeeper Dave Beasant spent two months on the sidelines in 2001 after dropping a bottle of salad cream on his foot, severing the tendon in his big toe.