Page last updated at 16:21 GMT, Friday, 7 November 2008

Court fine over Bebo sword image

Bebo logo
Bowman's posed with a sword on the social networking site, Bebo

A teenager from Ayrshire who was caught posing with a sword on the social networking site Bebo has been fined 200 at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court.

Anthony Bowman, 19, pleaded guilty to displaying the image on Bebo between January 2006 and July 2008.

His case came to light after police conducted a trawl of the internet in a bid to cut crime and disorder.

Bowman was then identified by officers from the Strathclyde force's Violence Reduction Taskforce.

The teenager's case was reported to prosecutors as part of Operation Access - an ongoing campaign against violence.

Kilmarnock district procurator fiscal, Les Brown, said: "This case demonstrates the benefits of using creative investigative techniques to gather evidence of crimes of violence and anti-social behaviour.

Youngsters who use social networking sites irresponsibly should be warned that their activities are being monitored and they may get a visit from the police
Ch Supt Bill Fitzpatrick
Strathclyde Police
"It sends a clear message that those responsible for such crimes cannot escape justice.

"During this operation, we have worked closely with local police divisions to ensure that cases detected through internet sites can be prosecuted effectively.

"Knife crime blights many local communities and we are committed to taking prompt and effective action to pursue those responsible and stop them in their tracks."

Ch Supt Bill Fitzpatrick, of Strathclyde Police, said Operation Access had been introduced to "crack down on youth violence and anti-social behaviour within communities across Ayrshire".

He added: "It provides us with an opportunity to identify young people who associate themselves with violence and the tools of violence.

"It is one strand of a very comprehensive strategy intended to bring about a reduction in violence by tackling it at source and in the most direct fashion.

"Youngsters who use social networking sites irresponsibly should be warned that their activities are being monitored and they may get a visit from the police."

Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific