Page last updated at 14:16 GMT, Friday, 2 May 2008 15:16 UK

Garage murderers jailed for life

James McDonald and Raymond Anderson
McDonald and Anderson must serve at least 35 years in prison

Two men have received the longest sentences ever passed by a Scottish court for murdering one man and trying to kill two others at a Glasgow garage.

At the High Court in Glasgow, Raymond Anderson, 46, and 34-year-old James McDonald were told they must serve 35 years before being eligible for parole.

Both had denied shooting dead Michael Lyons, 21, on 6 December 2006.

They were also found guilty of attempting to murder Steven Lyons, 27, and 42-year-old Robert Picket.

The sentence is longer than the 30-year minimum jail term imposed on Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi for the murder of the 270 people who died when Pan Am Flight 103 exploded on December 21, 1988.

Lord Hardie said the killing of Mr Lyon at Applerow Motors had been a "cold-blooded, premeditated assassination".

"Such activity cannot and will not be tolerated in our civilised society," he said.

Det Chief Supt Campebell Corrigan on the sentence

"Decent law-abiding citizens are entitled to expect the court to remove you from society.

"That will not occur unless the public co-operates with the authorities in removing guns and gangsters from our streets.

"Failure to do so may result in death or injury to innocent people and those who stand by silently must bear some responsibility for such results."

The attack happened at the garage owned by David Lyons, 48, the uncle of two of the victims.

He told the court that a "ransom note" was delivered to his home 10 days after the shooting.

Michael Lyons
Michael Lyons was shot at a garage in Glasgow

It read: "The boys owe me 25,000 and I want what's owed to me. It's for drugs. They all know what it's about as they have got to pay the piper."

The note gave details for a supposed money pick-up and contained a warning not to involve the authorities.

But Mr Lyons said he did not pay the money and handed the letter to police.

Following the shooting Anderson and McDonald came under surveillance.

This eventually led officers to a house in the Garthamlock area where a machine gun, grenades and ammunition were discovered.


Most computers will open this document automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader

Anderson and McDonald denied being linked to the military weapons, which had been stolen from army barracks.

The pair were also heard calling themselves "The Untouchables" and talking about the mysterious "piper", who was mentioned in the letter sent to David Lyons.

Donald Findlay QC, defending McDonald, claimed that despite many hours of bugged conversations there was not a "single solitary scrap of evidence" linking him to the shooting.

But after nearly two-and-a-half days of deliberations the jury returned guilty verdicts against both men.

Outside court, Det Ch Supt Campbell Corrigan, the senior investigating officer into the shooting, hailed the result and called the incident a "indiscriminate act of absolute barbarism".

Det Ch Supt Corrigan said: "We are committed to dealing with significant crime and this is a clear message that we will deal with it in any way we can."

Shooting murder trial abandoned
27 Feb 08 |  Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West
Gun attack 'like gangster film'
26 Feb 08 |  Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West
Trial told of masked gun attack
25 Feb 08 |  Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific