[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 26 October 2007, 11:38 GMT 12:38 UK
Football jibe killer sent to jail
Allan Tees
Allan Tees was found guilty of murder by a majority verdict
A man who stabbed a father-of-two 29 times after he said he hoped England would lose a football game against Brazil has been jailed.

Allan Tees, 23, slashed Kevin Keegan across the throat in the attack at a flat in Paisley on 5 June last year.

Tees had been drinking heavily and taking drugs on the day of the attack.

At the High Court in Edinburgh, he was sentenced to life in the state hospital for murder, with a recommendation he must serve at least 15 years.

Photographs of Mr Keegan's injuries were so horrific that two jurors at the High Court in Glasgow last month had to leave the room to regain their composure.

It was a vicious attack and unprovoked attack with a knife on a defenceless man involving extreme violence
Judge Lord Malcolm

Mr Keegan, 46, was rushed to the town's Royal Alexandra Hospital from the flat in Ladyburn Street but died the next day.

Tees, who is Scottish but lived in Manchester for some time, denied murdering Mr Keegan and defence lawyers had argued that he was suffering from a mental disorder at the time and had diminished responsibility.

But the jury rejected the claim and found Tees guilty of murder by majority verdict.

Sentencing, Judge Lord Malcolm branded it a "horrific" crime with "tragic consequences" and set the punishment part of the sentence at 15 years.

The State Hospital at Carstairs
Tees will serve his sentence in the State Hospital at Carstairs

He said he was satisfied Tees was suffering from a mental disorder and agreed that he should serve his sentence at the State Hospital at Carstairs. He will be moved to a prison if he recovers.

"It was a vicious attack and unprovoked attack with a knife on a defenceless man involving extreme violence," said Lord Malcolm.

"Mr Keegan's family and friends will have been devastated by this senseless loss of life.

"There is only one sentence open to me, namely imprisonment for life."

Defence advocate Laura Reilly said background reports showed Tees, who suffers from schizophrenia, belonged in hospital.

Tees, of Bridge of Weir Road, Linwood, was remanded in custody on 7 June, 2006, and transferred to Carstairs in October.

Man guilty of football row murder
17 Sep 07 |  Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West
Man arrested over Paisley death
06 Jun 06 |  Glasgow, Lanarkshire and West

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific