[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 28 August 2007, 09:02 GMT 10:02 UK
Probe into tenement wall collapse
Wall collapse

The outside wall of a Glasgow tenement has crashed to the ground shortly after emergency crews evacuated the building.

The emergency services had been called in when massive cracks started to appear in the wall of the standstone residential building.

Firefighters who arrived at the scene on Monday night immediately escorted five people from the tenement in Wilton Street, Maryhill.

The wall collapsed half an hour later exposing the inside of the building.

Strathclyde Police said five residents from a neighbouring building were also evacuated.

It is a miracle that no-one was hurt
Strathclyde Police spokesman

Concerns had been expressed by some residents in the block about the condition of the building after cracks appeared and pieces of masonry began to come loose in recent weeks.

Developers Standard Homes Ltd started construction work to erect a block of 16 flats next to the tenement last month.

Standard Homes said it was shocked by the wall's collapse and have ceased all construction work on the site until an investigation is carried out.

Resident Gez Park, 26, who had serious concerns about building work which had been going on next to the property, said he was lucky to be alive.

He said: "As we walked back to the flat last night we saw this big cloud of dust. The whole street was covered. Then when it cleared I couldn't believe it. The place is a disaster zone.

"When I looked up I just saw my room had half disappeared and all my stuff was gone.

"I've lost everything. It's lucky that no-one was killed."

Wilton Street
Residents were evacuated shortly before the wall collapsed

Dr Sudheer Surapaneni, 29, was also staying in the block where the wall collapsed.

He said: "About 20 minutes before the wall went, a firefighter came to the door and told us all that we had to get out because the building wasn't safe.

"We just got out in time. I can't believe this has happened, I don't know who is responsible but this should never have happened."

Glasgow City Council building control experts were called in to find out the cause of the accident and have begun carrying out investigations.

A Strathclyde Police spokesman said: "We received a call shortly before 9pm from people reporting that cracks were appearing in their building following building works.

"Fire crews attended and found major cracks and that was when the decision was taken to evacuate.

"Just after 10pm we got a report that the building had partially collapsed. It is a miracle that no-one was hurt."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific