[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 30 July 2007, 20:31 GMT 21:31 UK
Man jailed over soldier's murder
L/Cpl Kinnon Arrigo Ragni
L/Cpl Kinnon Arrigo Ragni was serving with a Welsh regiment
A Scot who stabbed a soldier to death outside a nightclub in west Wales has been jailed for a minimum of 18 years.

Mark Campbell, 35, from Glasgow, had admitted the murder of L/Cpl Kinnon Arrigo Ragni, 29, from Edinburgh.

Swansea Crown Court heard how Campbell, high on valium and alcohol, asked soldiers in Minnie's nightclub, Haverfordwest, for drugs.

He was thrown out but returned with a 10-inch knife and after waiting outside stabbed Mr Ragni six times.

The victim was taken to hospital with chest and stomach injuries but was dead on arrival.

Campbell was on licence from prison at the time.

Marc Campbell
Marc Campbell admitted murdering L/Cpl Ragni

Three men who chased and caught Campbell were commended by the judge and awarded 500 each for their bravery.

The court heard that Campbell was thrown out of Minnie's nightclub on 23 November last year after the soldiers complained about him.

Elwen Evans QC, prosecuting, said from that moment, Campbell was determined "to get a squaddie".

He returned to the nightclub with the knife and waited outside.

When L/Cpl Ragni - who had not been involved in the earlier incident - appeared Campbell stabbed him six times to the chest and stomach.

Police took Mr Ragni to hospital in a squad car but he was already dead.

'Survived Iraq'

As Campbell fled he was advised by Edward Davies, 31, of Heol Penlan, Stopandcall in Fishguard, how to leave the town centre without being filmed by CCTV cameras.

Campbell ran alongside the river, but he was chased by Alex Herbert, Aled Ward and Marco Scharf.

Isabelle Ragni
I think it makes it very, very hard for soldiers from this country to risk their lives abroad only to lose them here
Isabelle Ragni

Mr Herbert managed to kick Campbell, who threatened to stab him.

The chase continued and he was tackled by Mr Scharf. At that point Mr Ward managed to get the knife from Campbell.

The court heard how Davies was also on licence from prison at the time.

He admitted an offence of assisting an offender and was jailed for 15 months. He told police he had not realised how badly injured Mr Ragni was.

Mr Justice Evans said he had no doubt that Campbell had intended to kill.

After the hearing, L/Cpl Ragni's mother Isabelle said Campbell would one day return to society and continue with his life.

"That will never happen to my son," she said. "His life, his dreams, have all been taken from him. We will miss him forever.

"It was very difficult when the soldiers came and told me what had happened. I said 'no, he's in Wales, he's in Wales.' He survived Iraq but not our society.

"I think it makes it very, very hard for soldiers from this country to risk their lives abroad only to lose them here."

L/Cpl Ragni was serving in the Pembrokeshire-based 14th Signal Regiment.

Second man charged on club death
27 Nov 06 |  South West Wales
Man in court over fatal stabbing
25 Nov 06 |  South West Wales

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific