[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 8 May 2007, 15:59 GMT 16:59 UK
Machete thug's betting shop spree
Glasgow High Court
Andrew Campbell formally admitted the robberies at the High Court
A machete-wielding raider carried out seven betting shop robberies during a 12-day crime spree, a court heard.

Andrew Campbell, 24, raided two of the shops twice, leaving some employees too traumatised to return to work.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Campbell, of Kingsway Court, Scotstoun, was the subject of two bail orders at the time of the offences.

The judge Lord Bracadale called for reports and deferred sentence on Campbell till later this month.

Kath Harper, prosecuting, revealed that when Campbell was arrested he admitted all the raids and claimed he carried weapons because he feared for his life over an outstanding drugs debt.

Campbell formally admitted all charges when he appeared before Lord Bracadale on Tuesday.

Raided twice

About 4,500 was stolen during the seven robberies, which began on 18 January this year and ended on 30 January.

During the first raid at William Hill's at Glasgow Road in Dumbarton, employees Sharon Hayes and Kathless Currie were terrorised at knifepoint by masked Campbell.

Eleven days later, Sharon and another female member of staff came face to face with the same raider.

Sharon shouted: "Oh no, not again" as Campbell menaced her with a machete.

The court heard that Sharon, who is on tranquilisers, had not been back to work since.

The other betting shop raided twice was hit two days apart. On 28 January Campbell walked into Ladbroke at Elderslie Street, Glasgow, again hooded and armed with a machete.

Forced open

Behind the counter were Andreana McDonald, who was spending her first day in the branch, and her colleague Amanda Mitchell.

He held the machete close to Amanda's face and told her: "Don't make me use this."

Andreana was behind the counter when Campbell struck two days later for the second time and recognised him.

Ms Harper told the court that Campbell was identified by photographs and was found in his bedroom after his front door was forced open.

The machete used for most of the raids was found under a chair in the living room. None of the cash was recovered.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific