[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 12 April 2007, 14:15 GMT 15:15 UK
Dog 'only looked for the living'
Officer at St Patrick's
It was four days before Angelika's body was discovered
A police dog used to search for missing people would not have been able to locate Polish student Angelika Kluk if she was already dead, a court heard.

Search dog Delta spent 90 minutes in St Patrick's Church in Glasgow after she was reported missing.

Her body was found four days later under the floor of the church, near the priest's confessional.

Handyman Peter Tobin, 60, denies raping and murdering Angelika and hiding her remains at the church.

On the tenth day of the trial, Pc David Dick, 46, a dog handler for nine years, told the High Court in Edinburgh that he was called to the Anderston church in the early hours of 26 September last year.

He said that, along with Delta, he spent about 45 minutes in the church grounds and then went into the church itself.

When looking for a dead body it is a different dog
Pc David Dick

He said: "I issued a challenge and got no reply so I let the dog search itself."

Nothing was found during the search.

Advocate depute Dorothy Bain, prosecuting, asked Pc Dick what Delta was trained to do.

The constable said: "Tracing missing persons."

Ms Bain asked if the dog was trained to look for human remains. Pc Dick said she was not.

Pc Dick explained that, at that time, the search for Angelika was a missing person inquiry. He added: "When looking for a dead body it is a different dog."

He told the court that the purpose of calling in a dog was to look for signs of life in areas which could not be seen with the naked eye.

Pc Caroline Wilson, 28, had earlier said that Mr Tobin had claimed he was the last person to see the 23-year-old before her disappearance.

Pc Wilson was one of two Strathclyde Police officers called out to the initial missing persons inquiry on Monday, 25 September last year.

Angelika Kluk
The court heard more evidence on the tenth day of the trial

The murder charge alleges that Mr Tobin attacked Angelika between 24 September and 29 September in St Patrick's Church, or elsewhere, gagging her with cloth and tape, tying her hands, raping her, battering her with a piece of wood or something similar, and repeatedly striking her with a knife.

It is alleged that he then hid the body under the floor of the church in an attempt to defeat the ends of justice.

In a "special defence" read to the jury Mr Tobin admits having sex with the Polish student, with her consent.

A further charge - which Mr Tobin also denies - alleged that he told Glasgow police his name was Patrick McLaughlin, gave a false date of birth and address, and that he travelled to London and gave staff at the National Neurology and Neurosurgery Hospital in Queen's Square, London, another false name.

Mr Tobin also denies a breach of the peace between July and September last year by threatening Russian student Rebecca Dordi at St Patrick's Church.

The trial continues.

The court heard evidence from a police dog-handler

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific