[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 5 April 2007, 19:25 GMT 20:25 UK
Angelika priest 'lied to police'
Father Gerry Nugent
Father Gerry Nugent was in the witness box for four days
A priest who admitted having sex with a Polish student later found dead in his church has told the High Court in Edinburgh that he lied to police.

Father Gerry Nugent, 63, told the jury their sexual relationship in the summer of 2005 was his responsibility.

However, the court heard he had told police officers that it was the 23-year-old who instigated the affair.

Peter Tobin, 60, denies raping and murdering Ms Kluk and hiding her body within St Patrick's Church in Glasgow.

Defence counsel Donald Finlay QC asked Father Nugent: "You are not in any way suggesting here on oath that this girl instigated it, she was somehow the driving force?"

The priest replied it was "a mutual thing" with the woman he called Angela.

The lawyer said: "If anybody then sought to blame a girl who could not speak for herself, it would be a despicable act in extreme.

Angelika Kluk
Angelika was staying in the chapel house when she was murdered

"A despicable act by a despicable individual and coward and a liar.

"Who am I talking about Father Nugent?"

The priest replied: "You are talking about me."

Mr Findlay then read from a statement Father Nugent had given to detectives on 1 October last year.

It said: "She felt more strongly about me than I did about her and it was her who instigated everything. It was not me."

Father Nugent agreed he had said that and that it differed from his evidence.

The trial heard that the day after Angelika was reported missing, Father Gerry called a Catholic Church press officer to St Patrick's.

I know nothing about the circumstances of Angela's death
Father Gerry Nugent

The priest said he could not remember the meeting.

Mr Findlay told how Mr Dames later gave a statement to police in which he said Father Nugent told him he "no longer gave a damn about her".

"I cannot remember saying those words," the priest said. "I probably said it when I had a drink and that is the reason I cannot remember."

"No need to give a damn because she was dead. You knew she was dead," the QC suggested.

"I know nothing about the circumstances of Angela's death," the priest replied.

Angelika had been staying in the chapel house of the church to fund her studies in Gdansk.

Church musician

The priest was questioned by advocate depute Dorothy Bain, prosecuting, who said that church musician Sarah Howie denied having a sexual relationship with him, as he had claimed in his earlier evidence.

The priest agreed there had been no sexual intercourse but insisted there had been intimacy.

The murder charge alleges Mr Tobin attacked Angelika between 24 September and 29 September, raped her, battered her and repeatedly struck her with a knife.

It is alleged he hid the body under the floor of the church in an attempt to defeat the ends of justice.

In a special defence read to the jury Mr Tobin admits having sex with the Polish student with her consent.

The trial continues.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific