[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 3 July 2007, 10:56 GMT 11:56 UK
Forensics remove mosque blast car
Forensic investigators removing the car
Police say the controlled blasts were "precautionary"
Forensic investigators are examining a car removed from near a Glasgow mosque following three controlled explosions.

Officers probing failed car bombings at Glasgow Airport and in London were called to the Forth Street Mosque at about 2230 BST on Monday evening.

The Bomb Squad carried out a series of "controlled disruptions" on the saloon car early on Tuesday morning.

Police say the action was "precautionary" and that the mosque was not linked to the incident.

Strathclyde Police confirmed the car was linked to the airport attack but said there had been "no specific information" that it was a threat.

There was no sign that the vehicle had contained any dangerous materials.

30 June Two men arrested at Glasgow airport after burning car driven into doors of main terminal
30 June A 26-year-old-man, Dr Mohammed Asha, and a 27-year-old woman arrested on the M6 near Sandbach, Cheshire
1 July A 26-year-old man arrested near Liverpool's Lime Street station
1 July A 28-year-old man and a 25-year-old man arrested in Paisley
2 July A 27-year-old male doctor is detained in Australia, and a second doctor is questioned

The mosque is in the Pollokshields area of Glasgow's south side, which has a large Asian population.

Supt Stewart Daniels, of Strathclyde Police, told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme the Bomb Squad had been called in as a precaution.

He said: "The car was found to be in the car park of a mosque. There's absolutely no specific information to indicate that this vehicle is a threat, however, we have been working very closely over the past few days with the Bomb Squad.

"They are out at present, firstly just to ensure that the vehicle is not a threat, and secondly to secure any forensic evidence that the vehicle may contain.

"The mosque itself has no link to this incident."

Supt Daniels said police obtained intelligence about the suspect car as part of the wider investigation into the terror attacks.

He said: "This is a very fast-moving operation. There are many, many strands of inquiry and every strand of the investigation tends to lead to many more.

Bomb disposal team at Royal Alexandra Hospital
Explosions were also carried out at the Royal Alexandra Hospital

"A number of premises have been investigated and a number of cars.

"This vehicle was just one of those that came to light in the investigation and we are now carrying out a full forensic investigation of it."

Local residents were not evacuated during the incident and 40 worshippers who were in the mosque at the time were allowed to complete their prayers before being asked to leave.

Meanwhile, it is understood a suspect held in Scotland will be transferred to London.

Iraqi Bilal Abdullah will be taken to Paddington Green police station where another doctor is also being quizzed.

Dr Mohammed Asha, 26, who was brought up in Jordan and worked as a junior doctor at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford, was arrested on the M6 in Cheshire on Saturday night along with a 27-year-old woman thought to be his wife.

Strathclyde Police said two men aged 28 and 25 arrested on Sunday were detained at residences of the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley.

Locations connected to car bombs inquiry

The other man detained at Glasgow airport with Dr Abdullah had severe burns and remains in a critical condition, and under armed police guard, at the Royal Alexandra.

The hospital is where Dr Abdullah was employed as a locum.

Police have been carrying out searches of premises and vehicles within the grounds of the hospital and controlled explosions have taken place.

But Ch Supt Johnny Gwynne reassured local people there has been no indication of a threat to the hospital - which remains open - and said the actions taken were "purely precautionary".

A 26-year-old man was also arrested in Liverpool on Sunday and another man has been detained by Australian authorities at Brisbane airport.

Warrants have been issued which allow police to further detain the three people arrested in England until Saturday.

Detectives are still trying to trace the movements of the green Jeep Cherokee - registration L808 RDT - loaded with gas cylinders, which crashed into the doors of Glasgow airport's main terminal and burst into flames on Saturday afternoon.

The attempted attack came a day after two Mercedes containing petrol, gas cylinders and nails were found outside a nightclub in London's Haymarket and in a nearby street.

Police have urged anyone with information to phone the confidential Anti-Terrorism hotline number on 0800789321.

The events outside the mosque on Forth Street


Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific