[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 28 September 2006, 11:16 GMT 12:16 UK
Dawn raid fuels rule change plea
Ousama Benai
Ousama Benai is expected to return home on Friday
Calls for the rules on the forced removal of failed asylum seekers to be changed have been made after a dawn raid in Glasgow.

A mother and two children were detained by immigration officials in the city.

Azaddine Benai, the woman's husband, escaped and said he would be killed if he is returned to Algeria.

His family have been taken to Dungavel detention centre before being sent home on a flight from London on Friday at 1125 BST.

Leila Benai, 36, and her two children were expected to be transferred from Dungavel to London on Thursday.

Mr Benai has contacted his solicitor in an attempt to prevent deportation.

We will not remove anyone who we believe is at risk on their return
Home Office spokeswoman

He said his life would be under threat if he returned to Algeria.

"I'm going to get killed, not by gun, by knife to cut throat," he said.

He was awakened by knocking on his door in Kingsway Court, Scotstoun, shortly after 0700 BST on Wednesday.

Mr Benai escaped by jumping from a first floor balcony but immigration officials removed his family from the home.

Both children need medical treatment.

Ousama, 11, is diabetic and needs regular blood checks and insulin injections.

'Living in fear'

He is a pupil at St Brendan's Primary School.

In a statement, Headteacher Donal Currie said: "We at St Brendan's have been in this situation several times and it creates anguish, worry and great distress for everyone involved with the school."

Christine Grahame
I'm absolutely shocked this happened to young children in Scotland in the year 2006
Christine Grahame
SNP MSP

Ousama's sister, two-year-old Mayssa, is awaiting an operation at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill.

The Benai family have been living in Scotland for three years.

Those who work with asylum seekers said they were horrified dawn raids were starting up again six months after the Home Office said it was reviewing procedures.

Frank MacMaster, a voluntary worker, said: "The dawn raids continue to have the whole community here living in fear.

"It's very disappointing nothing has been done to stop this in spite of the assurances we had last year about a protocol."

Christine Grahame, SNP MSP for South of Scotland, said: "I'm absolutely shocked this happened to young children in Scotland in the year 2006 after all that has been said in this parliament.

"It must change without delay."

The Home Office does not comment on individual cases.

A spokeswoman said: "The government has made it clear that it will take a robust approach to removing people from the country where they have no legal right to be here.

"We examine with great care each individual case before removal and we will not remove anyone who we believe is at risk on their return.

"Removals are always carried out in the most sensitive way possible, treating those being removed with courtesy and dignity."


SEE ALSO
Review of asylum raids announced
27 Mar 06 |  Scotland
New protest against dawn raids
17 Dec 05 |  Scotland
Exchange over asylum row tactics
27 Nov 05 |  Scotland
Breaching protocol on immigration
25 Nov 05 |  Scotland
McConnell defiant in asylum row
25 Nov 05 |  Scotland
Asylum dawn raids row intensifies
24 Nov 05 |  Scotland

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific