Page last updated at 16:33 GMT, Monday, 17 May 2010 17:33 UK

Man admits dumping head-in-bag in Edinburgh

Heather Stacey
Heather Stacey was living in Granton in Edinburgh before she disappeared

A man accused of murdering a mother-of-four has admitted hiding her body for about a year before chopping her up and leaving pieces in bags in Edinburgh.

Alan Cameron, 56, from Edinburgh, denied that he murdered Heather Stacey, 44, at her flat in Granton, between end of November and mid December 2007.

He admitted he failed to report her death and concealed her body at Royston Mains Place, Granton, for 13 months.

The case started on Monday at the High Court in Livingston.

Mr Cameron admitted he cut and sawed the limbs from Ms Stacey's decomposed torso, wrapped her body parts in bags and covers, and took and dumped her remains near Hawthornvale Path in Newhaven, Edinburgh, and other areas of nearby Granton.

He also admitted that over 11 months between November 2007 and October 2008 he made repeated withdrawals from her Post Office card account.

High Court in Livingston
The case at the High Court in Livingston is to last about two weeks

He admitted convincing the benefits authorities she was still alive, and induced them to continue to pay out disability living allowance, income support and tax credits totalling nearly £5,000 in her name.

He said he sent a text purporting to be from her and over five days in December 2007 repeatedly pretended she had phoned him.

In a list of charges, running to three pages, handed to the jury of eight women and seven men at the High Court in Livingston, the way in which Ms Stacey sustained her fatal injuries in the alleged assault was described as "unknown".

Advocate depute Alex Prentice QC refused to accept Cameron's pleas of not guilty to murder, but guilty to attempting to defeat the ends of justice, and theft.

Giving evidence, Heather's daughter Danielle Williamson, 23, who grew up with her mother in Dingwall, and has a brother Mark, as well as a younger brother and sister, said her mother had moved to the flat in Royston, Edinburgh, in 2007, and had a drink problem.

The trial before Lord Matthews continues.

Print Sponsor

Man appears over head-in-bag case
06 May 09 |  Edinburgh, East and Fife

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific